Monday, September 1, 2008

Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs

Ugh, my headaches have reached the point where I am seeking alternative therapies. Wouldn't it be nice if I could stop complaining about them on my blog (and in real life too)? Last Friday I went for my first treatment--some dude that comes recommended via my in-laws. Luckily, his practice was busy b/c otherwise I would have been a little weirded out. It does not feel like a doctor's office at all. We spoke about my health history and current issues in the lobby, with other patients sitting right there. Anyway, I went into the exam room--there was no physical exam--I just laid down on the table, rolled up my jeans to my knees and got a ton of needles stuck in my feet, legs, arms, face and scalp. It did not hurt AT ALL--whew! But they make you lay there for 30 min, which seems like a long time. Thankfully Bill was there to occupy, I mean annoy me. He says, "what if there is a fire or earthquake--could you run with those needles in you?" Very funny. "That doesn't look too difficult, I could probably do it myself to you at home" Umm, no thanks.

Ah, but the best part was yet to come--the herbs. I got a blend of 15 herbs that I need to cook and steep like tea for 30 min then drink 3 times a day. Sounds okay--especially if it actually tasted like tea. I took my first treatment tonight. Imagine the water in a vase of flowers that is about 2 weeks old. You know that smell? Add a couple of scoops of potting soil and stir. Drink a whole mug of it. That's what it tastes like. OMG, that was BRUTAL! Bill told me to stand over the sink in case I puke (NOT the thing to say to me) and then Bill gave me 2 M&Ms to help with the aftertaste. Not helpful unless I ate the whole bag. Okay, I just need to try it for a week.

I know it sounds like I am complaining, but I am not. I am hoping to get some relief from these debilitating headaches and tummy aches I get way too often. I am committed to try anything at this point. As Bill pointed out, these herbs and acupuncture have been around for millions of years in Chinese culture and there are a lot of Chinese people walking around that have used these techniques and swear by them. The scientist in me feels skeptical, but hey--a bagillion Chinese people can't be wrong. Wish me luck, I am going to get punctured again tomorrow.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Good luck Julie! I hope it helps. The tea sounds awful, but like you said, it's just for one week, right? Hugs to you--hang in there!

Joanna said...

So you really can't feel the needles? I've heard some good things about accupuncture, I hope it works for you.

Julie said...

Its a teeny prick, but painless and I am a wuss. I did just find out I have to drink the herbs for a couple of MONTHS! I almost started crying. There is nothing like drinking a cup of dirt with your breakfast.