Thursday, September 4, 2008

That pretzel is how much?

I love a deal. I am a bargain hunter, although not the crazy kind that gets a whole basket worth $100 for $1.39 after coupons and discounts. Those people deserve a degree or medal or something--I am not that good. I never buy anything full retail. Its got to be on sale and at least feel like a value. For example, a $200 purse marked down to $100 is a deal to some people, but not to me b/c I am not a bag person and I would never EVER spend $100 on a purse that will likely have cheerios, goldfish and some sticky-used-to-be-a-fruitsnack-substance pooled in the bottom of it. For items for myself I am kind of cheap--I generally don't spend more than $15 on a top or $30 for pants and never more than $30 for shoes, unless they are boots or something really special. Of course, I am a stay at home mom, so I don't need fancy clothes and even when I worked, I was in a lab with yucky chemicals, lab animals and God knows what else, so I never dressed up there either. Probably the last time I had nice-ish clothes was when I was in grad school and I cared what other people (i.e. boys) thought of my appearance. Sad, but true. My wardrobe is kind of boring, but functional and once in a while I try to branch out and do something somewhat stylish as long as I don't have to iron it and its within my spending constraints. Oh and clothes for Bill--he is happy with what he has--seriously--he still has (and wears) clothing from 1995. Thank goodness for Christmas and his birthday and all of our friends and relatives that give him little updates to his wardrobe.

That said, when it comes to Lana's clothes/shoes, I need a 12 step program. Its crazy how many cute things are out there for girls. Its crazy how little self control I have. Don't get me wrong, I do buy the $3.99 tops at Target with the cute matching leggings at the same price. I buy things for her at the consignment store. I do bargain hunt. But, the problem is that there is an outlet mall 10 min from my house with your standard Gap, Gymbo, Carters, Osh Kosh and Children's Place. Deals everywhere, so tempting.... I try to never go unless I have to buy a gift for someone or if I have a crazy good coupon. But still, I probably spend too much money there. Today I went to a real (non-outlet) mall for the Baby Sale at Gymboree. Oh geez. I tried to avoid Gymboree in general until about a year ago b/c I felt like its just too expensive for what it is. But, I have come to love how all the clothes coordinate and I can mix and match, plus they offer more variety than just pink b/c seriously people how much pink can a girl own? Oh, I know there are way fancier stores and wayyyyyy more expensive clothes for kids out there, but for me, I need to draw the line and those Target clothes are very cute and functional. Well, today at the Baby Sale, those bastards got me. I spent $130 (OMG!!!) on fall clothes for Lana. But I had a 20% off coupon and I got Gymbucks so that I can go back next month and spend another whole pile of money on clothes for a kid who likes to be naked. But winter is coming and it will be too cold to be naked, at least outside. I better stop rationalizing my guilt now.

Oh and does anyone else find it APPALLING that those pretzel places charge $3.05 for one pretzel? Holy mackerel--that better be one friggen fantastic pretzel!

4 comments:

Donna said...

I love it! $130 on a kid that likes to be naked...yep don't you love it. If you do go for number 2 and number 2 happens to be a boy, be prepared. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING out there half as cute for boys. So difficult to shop that when I find stuff I like I go nuts! I just buy buy buy - because the lack of cuteness for boys is really appalling.

Beth said...

Soooo true about clothes for boys! Racks and Racks of cute girl stuff, but one or two lame-o racks for boys. But I'm not complaining--it's a lot easier on the wallet! And my shopping habits for myself are so similar to yours, Julie--and I work! I'm a fashion disaster, no doubt! But since having kids, I really don't care. I don't even have a full-length mirror at home. When we moved, I meant to get one, but just never bothered. You don't know how many days I've walked out the door without even looking in the mirror! LOL.

Joanna said...

They opened one of this evil outlet places near us, and it's bad. You do not want to know what I spent on clothes for Michael this fall. It's embarrassing. But, I had to buy two sizes because he does this annoying growth spurt thing each winter as soon as they switch out to the spring clothes and he's stuck wearing pants that look like capris for 2 months.

LauraC said...

Boys clothes are just BORING! The only reason I want a girl right now is so I can dress her up, which is lame because I didn't even play with barbies or dolls as a girl except when my sister made me.

The only reason I don't go crazy at Gymbo is bc I'm really weird about buying Nate something and Alex something. I can never find two different things of something I like!