Sunday, April 20, 2008

Our weekend

We had a pretty good weekend. Busy, but fun too. On Saturday we had our first family photo shoot at Picture People at the mall. We did pictures before at Penneys when Lana was 6 months old and it was a total disaster--she screamed the whole time and we only got one photo and she looked pissed. So this time, I was nervous it would be another disaster. I totally obsessed about every detail--the clothes, the shoes, etc. We also got family portraits done with the three of us and some with my inlaws as well. I tried to buy something trendy for myself to wear for these pics since I rarely buy any clothes anymore (unless you count jeans and tees from Target). I must have tried on 25 tops and everything looked either slutty or totally doofy. I ended up wearing a boring scoop neck sweater like everything else I own. Maybe I am getting old? Anyway, the photo shoot went pretty well--Lana warmed up by the end and we got some good shots which I will post at some point. Then we went for dim sum to celebrate Bill's birthday and home for a nap.

Saturday night we tried CIO for the first time in a while to try to get Lana to go to sleep by herself. She FREAKED! It was heartbreaking and I hate it. If I didn't have success in the past with it, I would bail. I kept going in her room and putting her back in bed and she kept getting out and going to the gate--screaming bloody hell the whole time. After about 7 tries, I bailed and sat next to her bed until she fell asleep. About 2h later she woke up screaming again--it was a night terror I think b/c she was out of her mind and I couldn't snap her out of it. Then all of a sudden she stopped. Its freaky--I kept telling Bill that something is wrong with her. She woke up 2 more times that night complaining of congestion in her nose and low and behold this morning she was all stuffy and boogery and surprise of all surprises, so am I. So we have another cold! I guess we will be jumping ship on the sleep training. I think the last time we tried to sleep train, she got a cold and it was over before we started. Maybe she knows that's the way to get mommy to sleep with her. Ugh, its so frustrating. Plus I just love being sick--see previous post.

Today we met up with some old friends we haven't seen in 2 years. They were here from California, visiting family and we met up for breakfast. They have a 4 and a half year old son who is super cute and so well-behaved and polite. They are also expecting their second baby this summer, which is so exciting. It was SO nice to catch up, like no time had past. It was also nice to connect with them as parents, since when we all lived in the same city, they were parents, but we were not. Having Lana has totally altered my perspective in just about every way, which I suppose is an obvious statement, but I really had NO idea about kids before I had Lana, no matter how much I tried to get it. I remember several years ago at a dinner party (at the home of the friends we saw today, actually), one of the moms turned to me and said, "Julie, you and Bill are newleyweds. Let me tell you, the love you have for Bill is NOTHING compared to the love you will have for your children." I literally could not imagine what she was talking about, but I totally do now. I thought she was being dramatic, actually. Anyway, it was nice to see our friends and I hope we can do it again sometime.

Tonight my wonderful husband is cooking!! Homemade pasta--yes homemade. WOW! The sauce is a Giada recipe with beef short ribs and tomatoes and red wine. It smells so good. I can tell you there will be flour all over the kitchen, on every surface--the kitchen is always a bomb site after he has been cooking, but who is complaining? Not me, I tell ya!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds like a great weekend, despite the colds and having to bail on CIO. I meant to ask if you have Lana in a twin bed or full-size or bigger? Maybe she needs a bigger bed so you can sleep more comfortably! :-)

Yay for successful pictures, too. Can't wait to see them. We haven't done professional pics since William was 9 months. I'm thinking of hiring a photographer to come to our house, or to go to some other outdoor venue. Anyway, hope you have a great week!