Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Okay, I am better now

Thanks blogfriends for all of your thoughtful and encouraging thoughts on my last bitch and whine post. Sometimes just getting it all out of my head is the best medicine. Blogging is like free therapy--to quote LauraC.

Also, today had lunch with an old friend, from my previous life as a scientist. He was a student while I was a postdoc and we worked in the same lab in San Diego. Now he is a postdoc here in Seattle. He moved here back in September and we always talked about getting together and today we finally did. Lana spent the day with my inlaws, as she does every Wednesday. Usually I take this time to clean the house, run errands I would prefer to do without a toddler, I get my haircut or visit the doctor/dentist, whatever. I very rarely do something purely for me without getting something else done on my list at the same time. But today, I did. I sat outside on a beautiful summer day and had lunch with an old friend--for like 2 hours. We talked about his job, his lab, how he likes Seattle, science in general. My life has changed so dramatically since we worked together, yet having our conversation today really made me step back and appreciate the life I have now. I love living here. I love being at home with Lana. I don't miss the academic environment at all. It was exactly what I needed after feeling several days of stress and grumpiness. It was also nice to eat lunch slowly, to not have to remind Lana to wait her turn to talk or pick up fallen crayons off the floor. Not to mention the adult conversation and I could swear as much as I wanted without spelling the curse words. It was good.

What made my day even better? When I got home, Bill called and told me to go pick up Lana from his parents' house b/c he was getting out of work early--3pm early!!! So the three of us went to the beach for an hour and played in the sand and the freezing cold water. Then I came home and made dinner while Lana and Bill played in the garden. And this is precisely why I love being a stay at home mom.

There is nothing like a good day to bring you back from that grumpy place.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Isn't it funny how sometimes you get just what you need right when you need it? I'm glad that you had such a good day.

jessikahsd said...

That sounds like the perfect day! I am glad to hear it - you deserve it!