Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Catch up and whine

I haven't been posting lately b/c I have no coherent thoughts. Seriously, I am just a jumbled mess. Life has been busy. Nothing earth-shattering, but I have to say that I have high hopes for this summer and so far I have been a little too busy or tired to really stop and smell the roses. Which reminds me of all of the gardening I need to do, but don't want to do b/c I don't like bugs or to get my hands dirty. Plus I can't really bend over too well. Well I can, but it kind of makes my ribs feel like they are going to pop out.

In a nutshell of randomness, here is what has been going on in our world:

  • Lana started a dance class at the Little Gym. She doesn't participate. She begs me to sit in the corner criss cross applesauce (its not a Mommy and Me class), which I do and she either sits on my lap or she stands up and turns in circles till she falls on her butt. Never mind all the girls in their leotards and tap shoes and her favorite teacher--she is a non-conformist and she will do as she pleases. Argh. She does however participate in the gym portion of the class as long as I am sitting on the side. Maybe she will warm up to it, but if not oh well.

  • I will be visiting my dad next weekend. Its a solo trip b/c it was last minute and expensive and I just don't have the energy to travel with Lana from coast to coast as the only adult carrying all the gear while being 6 months pregnant in the middle of summer. Dad is doing well and I am happy to squeeze in a quick visit before the new baby arrives. I am a bit nervous about leaving Lana at home, even in the care of my inlaws, Bill and my mom. I know everything will be fine, but she will miss me and will likely be a handful. I also admit that I will miss her. We have only spent one or two nights apart since she was born. Call me pathetic. I know.

  • Bill is studying for his oral board exam. Its in a few weeks in Chicago. I don't know how he can concentrate with all the noise and distraction in our house!

  • My mom loves her new job! She doesn't love the commute. We have spent the last few weekends looking for an apartment for her. We found one last weekend and she signed on it yesterday. She will move on July 18th if I can secure movers that quickly. I better get my ass on the phone.

  • We are getting our house painted as we speak. Our living and dining room. Its going to look awesome and its the first phase of redecoration that we have done in our house since we moved in nearly two years ago. I kind of feel like a grown-up.

  • My house is a mess. Guess what--I don't really care. Right now we are eating all of our meals in the living room in front of the tv b/c our dining room is being painted and is covered in drop cloths. I hope Lana doesn't get used to watching Noggin with every meal--that may be a hard habit to break.

  • I think I have gallstones. Ouch.

  • I drink and eat too much sugar/junk food and probably not enough water. Not helping the gallstones. At least I remember to take my prenatal most days.

  • I am tired. First trimester tired. Dammit, I need some energy!!! I have things to do.

  • I cannot believe that I am having another baby. I know it sounds weird, but its true. It doesn't seem real at all. I am not one of those people that bonds with the baby while they are pregnant. I don't love being pregnant, I don't even find the kicks to be all endearing and sweet. Reassurring, yes. The most amazing feeling in the world? Not so much. It feels weird to me. I don't want to sound all whiny and ungrateful, b/c I am SO very grateful for this pregnancy and baby. But, I am just not the glowing kind of girl. I am stressing a little about the C-section. I remember the recovery was not pleasant. I could not get around easily, which was okay at the time b/c Bill was home for a few weeks and I didn't have a demanding toddler who is active and climbs and kicks and gets bored easily. I won't even be able to drive for 2 weeks!!! The logistics of the first month is going to be interesting. Bill is only taking a few days off (like maybe 3 days or so) and once he is back to work I cannot count on him to get up in the middle of the night to deal with me, the new baby or Lana (who still night-wakes a few times a week) b/c well, he has to cut people open and should not be doing that sleep-deprived. I am thinking of getting one of those loveseats that turns into a bed for the nursery instead of a glider so that I can sleep right in the baby's room if I have to. Yeah right, like I am going to be sleeping, I should say napping!

  • I should probably make a list of the things I need for the baby.

  • I am so behind on emails to friends its not even funny.

  • I love summer here. Its been sunny and around 70 for weeks now. Perfect summer weather for me. I want more time and energy to enjoy it. Where does the time go? Why does it seem like no matter how much I accomplish, I am no where near caught up? How on earth do you working moms do it???? Kudos to you all!!!!

  • I really want to be in a better mood than I have been lately. I don't like to be so cranky and complainy. Maybe this upcoming three day weekend will help. I always say the weekends will help, but all too often the weekends are overly jam-packed with stuff and I end up feeling even more tired when they are over. We are taking a mini vacation at the end of July when Bill's boards are over. I am looking forward to that--maybe that is just what I need.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

It sounds like you have your hands full. I hope you can still make the bets of the summer.

Beth said...

Wow Julie--that is a LOT going on! First of all, enjoy your weekend with your dad and take advantage of some YOU time! There will be precious little of that in the weeks to come. Second, take deep breaths! And cut yourself some slack! I did not love being pregnant, either, and did not feel all "glowy" about the stuff going on with my body. That's completely normal! I did not, however, have a c-section, so I can't help you with that. Do the inlaws drive? Can they take Lana to school? Have you considered hiring a baby nurse or child care professional for a few hours a day? Just for a week or two until you're all healed up? I'm sure you've considered everything. In the end, like every mother, you'll just soldier through. And you'll be amazed by what you can handle and what you can do. As for the love seat in the baby's room, I recommend a twin bed! Or a chaise lounger chair. Just prepare yourself for those nights when Lana and the baby will both be awake and crying in the middle of the night and they'll both want you. I spent many nights nursing Seth in William's bed while William slept lying on my legs. It's not pretty, but you do what you have to do.

Glad your mom likes her job! Good luck getting her set up in her apartment. I know she really needed and wanted the job, but too bad it couldn't wait until, say, October or November! Hugs to you--it will all work out. I promise!

As for your question--how do working moms do it--I really think we have it soooo much easier. First of all, we get 8 hours a day AWAY from our kids. This counts for a lot. Second, because we don't have as much time to get stuff done, we only do what's really necessary, and our standards for things like clean toilets and clean floors and dust-free houses go way, way down. And third, I tend to put things off, so since I work, the pressure of knowing that I only have a very short window to do the things I need to do compels me to get things done. And working makes having a routine super easy. I start laundry every Saturday morning and fold every Saturday night. I go grocery shopping every Sunday morning. You get the idea!

Anyway--sorry for the novella. Just know I'm thinking of you! Trust me--you will be a fabulous mom to two daughters!

Maria said...

I am tired just reading that! Hang in there. I hope you have a great visit with your Dad. You will get used to having two and it will feel like the new little bean was always there. Seriously, you won't remember life before two. Well, you will, but it will be hazy! LOL! You are going to be great.