Thursday, July 9, 2009

Did I forget my underwear?

Today I woke up at 4:45am and headed to the airport for my first solo trip back east. I am visiting my dad in VA and I decided that I am too pregnant to take Lana with me with all the gear it requires, especially in the summer heat. I don't know if I just did not get enough sleep last night or what, but I seriously feel STRANGE!!!! Like I left something important at home, like my underwear or my watch. I know what it is that I forgot to bring with me--my daughter! Okay, I didn't forget, but it feels so weird to be without her. Will it always feel like I have lost an appendage when one of my kids isn't with me or is this just a passing phase, something I am not used to that I will eventually grow out of? Maybe I am just being pregnant and all attach-y to my offspring or something. All I know is its weird and every time I saw a toddler with chubby cheeks today I fought back tears.

When I was pregnant with Lana, my friend Stacey (Hi if you are reading) had a conference in San Diego and we met up for dinner. When I picked her up at her hotel, she got in the car and told me it was the first night she ever spent without her girls (she had 2 young daughters at the time, now she has 3, but you can all about that on her blog) and her eyes welled up with tears. I remember thinking, "Aw! That is so sweet!" but truly, I could not relate to it at all b/c when Lana was in my tummy she was such an abstract idea to me. Today as I looked at every other cute kid on the planet, I thought about that moment with Stacey, how it was not so much sweet, but that it was hard for her--its much harder than it looks to be away from your babies, even if you know they are in the loving hands of your husband and grandparents.

My travel was pretty cramped, especially b/c I had a larger woman sitting next to me, encroaching on my seat, our butts touching (ew) and then the dude in front of me reclined and the dude in back of me kept shoving his knees into my seat back. Why oh why are these seats so small?? I am only 5'3" and like 130 lbs at 6 months pregnant and I felt like a sardine in there today. At least I was reading an entertaining book. I would love to say it was all liberating and such to have quiet time to read and doze off and drink 3 cans of ginger ale, without having to answer a million questions and promise chicken mc nuggets, implore her not to lick the window and pick crayons up off the floor. But it didn't feel liberating, I felt like I was missing something.

Seeing my dad is wonderful of course, yet difficult in some ways too. He looks more frail than the last time I saw him, but this is to be expected, seeing he has done like 5 or 6 rounds of chemo with no break. The tumors are decreasing in size and his doctors are pleased, so that is encouraging news, but the side effects have been pretty gnarly. He is losing the acuity of his vision, he cannot feel his feet which makes it difficult for him to walk without a cane. Both of these symptoms mean he should not drive, which renders him pretty useless in his opinion. I tell him to treat it like a pregnancy (which is a dumb thing to tell a man)--you feel a little goofy and useless for a while, with strange symptoms and all that crap, but when its over you will bounce back to your normal self. It is nice, refreshing and liberating though to sit on the sofa and chat without interruption. Of course most of this conversation revolves around that little interrupting person.

Even though I have called home at least 5 times so far to check on my little sidekick, I will try to decompress and enjoy my visit with my dad. I wish I could see him more often and I wish I could help him more. I know Lana is fine. She is a big girl after all. Its me that is having the most trouble--silly mommy.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

"Will it always feel like I have lost an appendage when one of my kids isn't with me or is this just a passing phase"

I love the fact that you used "one of my kids" I guess the second time around the little bean seems a little less abstract.

Also, thank you for your comment on my sibling post. I needed that.

Beth said...

Not silly at all! I think as mommies, we can all relate. I do believe, however, as the kids get older, and we take leave of them more often, it gets easier, and you'll start to enjoy your "you" time more. But that doesn't mean you won't ache to see your kids while you're gone. As for traveling alone, don't you want to go up to every person with a child and say, "I have one of those! I do!" LOL. Hope your weekend goes well, and that your plane trip home is a bit more, uh, comfortable! Hugs!

Donna said...

Maybe I am not the best mommy around, but I do not have these lost feelings. I feel a sense of separation anxiety, but I also feel a sense of peace, too. My house is so crazy and so full of noise, it is hard to even find a quiet moment. I cherish those moments, but at the same time miss the noise! Hope your dad is doing better.

Megan said...

It IS an adjustment! And you are going through a lot while you are there. Your father isn't well. You are pregnant and being barraged by hormones. This is totally normal. After my weekends with the kids, on monday morning when I leave the house in my quiet car, it feels like I 'lost' something. So I totally get it. I try to focus on ME when I have these weekends away. Selfish as that sounds, these days/nights away are important to me to remember my needs and learn to be familar again with myself. Moms give and give and give. (Dads too!) It feels odd to just do things like eat and sleep. Truly jarring. My girls weekend in June was my first night without wyeth and I woke up refreshed but...lonely? It was an odd feeling that I can't put my finger on. I hope you can continue to enjoy the time. And yes, I have had that 'what did I forget' moment frequently when I am without my kids!

Stacey said...

I am reading! And I can't believe you remember the dinner, let alone what I said! That was a rough trip for sure, but just at the end when I got the hang of being by myself, it was time to go home. Now, I think, since we left the girls to go to Africa, these shorter trips will be easier. I hope your dad continues to do well--and that you find time for yourself before the new baby arrives.

Unknown said...

Hey Julie - I can totally relate to your post now. We left Ashley in TX on Sunday for a few days so Robert can get through his knee surgery. Getting on the plane without her was seriously the hardest thing we've done. I can't wait to see her tomorrow. Anyway, your post helped me get through it!