Saturday, July 18, 2009

Summer Fun

This past week, I have not been blogging because Lana and I have been having way too much summer fun. The weather has been perfect--around 80, blue sky and no humidity and this coming week looks like more of the same. We are having a freakishly great summer, weather-wise and I am so not complaining! Lana and I had 2 beach play dates with friends on Wednesday and Thursday and since the weather was just so nice on Friday, I took her back to the beach, just the two of us for more fun in the sun. Sitting on the sand, chatting with friends, watching the kids play together or Lana and I building sand castles decorated with seaweed was just about perfect and oh so therapeutic! I felt so guilty when Bill and mom came home from work and I just spent the day on the beach for three days straight. So no housework got done, although I managed to cook dinner each night thanks to my crock pot.

Our town has this man-made island right off the coast that is accessible by ferry only and its only open July-August. It is completely undeveloped and has a lot of nature programs--guided walks, etc. for the kids. But the best part is that the water on the beach is very shallow for a really long way out. If you visit a couple of hours after low tide, the sand gets really warm and when the tide comes in, the water gets super warm too. This is totally key when your beaches are served by the Pacific Ocean--its usually super cold. Its a great sandy beach, fun for digging up clams and shrimp and other sea life. Plus, the kids can run and play in the water and you don't have to worry about them falling on sharp rocks or getting into the water over their heads or pummelled by waves. The tough part is getting the free tickets for the ferry, but we showed up early and got lucky this week. I so wish I took photos that I could post, but I refuse to take my camera, since I spend most of the time away from our blanket and in the water with Lana. Plus, we have had a camera and 2 GPS devices stolen this past year--I am so not taking any chances.

We had picnics all week long and I am so over eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Since I can't have deli meat (b/c of the pregnancy) and I don't dig mayo-laden tuna that has been sitting out in the sun, I have been eating PB and J nonstop. The funny thing is, Lana ate so many sandwiches this week and loved them. Previously, if you gave her a sandwich, she wouldn't touch it. I think she was totally starving from running up and down the beach and it was the novelty of eating outside, picnic style. She was so happy and well-behaved. I have noticed that her behavior is so great as long as she is engaged in some way. Boredom precipitates acting out. I cannot possibly entertain her every minute of every day, but when she is effectively stimulated with activities, man is she a happy kid and one that is so easy to get along with!

Poor Bill has his oral board exam next week in Chicago. He is studying his butt off, which reminds me of how much I don't miss studying. He is stressed and distracted. Its summer and the poor kid can't even enjoy it! Its almost over and I am trying to give him a lot of quiet study time.

This next week, the weather forecast is looking great still! I am finally fulfilling my wish to enjoy my summer with Lana, before this baby arrives and our lives are turned upside-down. After next week, Bill will be able to join us, on the weekends at least. I hope it doesn't start raining!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Poor Bill, indeed. But it sounds like such an awesome place! And good for you for taking full advantage of the time. That is awesome. As for Lana, can you enroll her in school 5 days a week? I'm just sayin'!

Megan said...

Awesome! Beach time! Sun time! Island time! So glad for you guys! But I feel for your hubby too- so hard to pursue academic/professional goals while being a parent. It is hard on the person and hard on the spouse. So glad that you guys are really enjoying being together and being outside!

DesiDVM said...

I'm so jealous. That's the main problem with Vegas, it's TOO HOT to have fun outside for a good part of the summer, so J and I spend alot of my days off being mored bored than I like. At least we can get to a pool every once in awhile, I love those days because we have alot of fun and he's guaranteed to be worn out when we come back:)

I know what you mean about not missing studying, when TH was finishing up his master's project this semester I was SO HAPPY to be 5 years out of vet school LOL.

Unknown said...

How nice that you have been enjoying the summer with Lana while you're pregnant. When I was 7 months pregnant with Tyler, I was working like 60 hour work weeks on a project that was really intense - way too intense for a pregnant woman who was very hormonal and easily brought to tears :(

I'm so excited for you for the new baby!! Does Bill get any kind of break around your due date? Will he be taking any time off?