Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I was so looking forward to the long weekend--I envisioned us maybe taking a day trip or a ferry ride somewhere to explore this new area in which we live, but my plans were dashed on the previous Wednesday when Bill came home and said, "I think I am getting sick--I'm freezing!" He got Lana's virus from last week, which I am guessing was a version of hand-foot-and-mouth disease b/c it was the fever, then a rash on her feet and in her mouth. Bill got pummeled by this illness--I have never seen him so sick actually. He never registered a fever. Instead his body temp was low and he was so cold, along with the body aches and all that. But it lasted 3 days and he had no appetite until Sunday. He operated on Friday--I have no idea how he could function well enough to do so b/c as soon as he came home he went straight to bed. So our weekend was quite low-key. But we probably needed a relaxing weekend anyway, so it all worked out. We did manage to clean out our garage on Monday--finally unpacking the last 20 or so boxes from our move last August. Sheesh! That only took 10 months! We kept Lana entertained by letting her play with some old Barbie toys I had in a box. She kept wanting to sit in the corvette, rather than letting Malibu Barbie drive. We also picked some flowers from our garden and brought them inside. 10 huge white calla lillies, these big hot pink peony-looking flowers (i'm not sure what they are) and a bunch of orange and pink poppies. The previous owner of our house really planned the garden thoughtfully. Just as one plant flowers, another is ready to bloom--we have a constant stream of flowers with something new opening every week. Our irises look almost ready to open--I can't wait--I love those! I am so grateful for this garden and how little we have to do with it and yet we are constantly reaping the rewards of someone else's work. We had beautiful weather the whole weekend and we spent a lot of time outside just hanging out. I am so looking forward to this summer and the fun we will have in the garden, at the park, the pool--ooh, I can't wait!

No comments: