Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fruit is explosive

Lana is addicted to fruit. Its serious--I may have to have an intervention at some point. Since she eats so much fruit, we have banned juice, which of course my inlaws have decided to ignore. But that's okay, b/c grandparents are supposed to spoil the children, right? Okay, let me give you an idea of how much fruit we go through. Over the weekend we bought a huge clamshell of strawberries and another big clamshell of blackberries, both from Costco. On Monday I bought a pretty big watermelon, some oranges and apples. It is now Thursday and we are down to half a watermelon, about 5 strawberries and 2 oranges. Okay, Bill and I eat some fruit too, but the berries are all Lana. Plus she loves frozen cherries (look out once the fresh ones hit) and the frozen triple berry mix. Its out of control and EXPENSIVE!! But, I have something to use for bribes. Four more bites of dinner till you get berries... I know its not horrible--the kid likes something healthy at least. True. I can't think of another snack I would rather give her--cookies, crackers? So the only downside I suppose is when she goes a little overboard--the diapers are mind-blowing (pardon the expression). The other night Bill is working late and Lana and I are enjoying some beef stew I made in the crock pot. She takes a dump, no big deal--gotta make room, right? She keeps asking for "more meat Mommy". All is well till I take her out of the seat--Oh MY!! This is seriously THE biggest poop I have ever seen! Can we say too much fruit? It has blown out the side of the diaper and is all down her leg and blown up the front! I am not grossed out by poop--thank goodness--b/c this was quite a clean up job. I was only sad that Bill wasn't around to witness it. Impressive job Lana and tomorrow we must cut back on those blackberries!

1 comment:

Mountain Mom said...

Julie - LOL! At one point we had to cut back on the fruit with Tyler. For the longest time it was the only food my in-laws would feed him because they "didn't know what he could eat" and wanted to "play it safe", despite the long list of things I have given them and even ignoring the food I would bring for him to their house. Yes, we have had lots of loose poops in this house. Erin loves fruit too, but Tyler takes the lion's share. And there definitely are worse things you could be bribing Lana with...like gummy bears and fruit roll-ups with red dye #5 and all of that other crap.