Thursday, October 1, 2009

Totally doing the happy dance over here!

Lacey Ru-Ling was born Monday September 28th, 7:58am, weighing in at 6 lbs, 4 oz, 19.5 inches long.



Underneath that cap is a head full of black hair. When she first came out, I thought--wow she looks nothing like Lana, but now I think she totally looks like Lana.

Anyway, looks aside, Lacey is different from Lana--yes, I can tell already. First off, she is breastfeeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that is a lot of exclamation points, but I am that excited! In recovery, she just latched right on and suckled for 15 minutes--woo hoo! She has been a nursing champ ever since. Great latch, very little pain and soreness on my end (at least in the boob region) and overall, just so great at it. This is the best gift ever. I struggled so much nursing Lana and ultimately after 2 weeks of frustration and failure, I switched over to pumping and bottle feeding. This was fine, but a lot of dishwashing and extra time hooked up to that damn pump. Middle of the night pumping is no fun, let me tell ya. This time around, I just pick her up, nurse, re-swaddle and we are done. I can't believe how easy it is. My milk came in full force yesterday (OMG, I have huge boobs) and she is going to town eating and then sleeping in between. Sleeping well and for long stretches. I often have to wake her for the next feeding. I am so not bragging or rubbing it in to those who have not had this experience with their newborn, b/c I have been on the other side of things. Lana was never a happy camper--she was up screaming her head off every 2 h around the clock, sometimes out of hunger, sometimes we didn't know why. I know its early still and Lacey may change tomorrow, but so far, I am on cloud 9. My ped said colic starts at 3 weeks--so we are enjoying the potential calm before the storm. If colic shows up this time though, I am prepared like a girl scout. Right now, I am so joyful and excited and thankful. So very thankful.

Healing from my surgery is slow going. I am a wimp. I have very low pain tolerance. I made the mistake of leaping out of bed the first night I was home. I think I forgot I just had belly surgery. I strained one of the muscles on my right side, so now everytime I twist a little in the waist, I get a shooting pain, in addition to the stabbing pains in my incision area. I am not exactly rebounding quickly. I love my pain meds, although they make me feel a little wacky. Right now, its a balance between pain control and not feeling too stoned. I know in 2 weeks I will be moving around much better, but its driving me nuts to sit still and not be able to bend over and pick things up, or walk upstairs to grab a change of clothes or my lanolin cream.

Lana, sweet Lana is doing so well. She is very focused on being big. We point out all the things she can do that the baby can't. I gave her a gift from Lacey--her first princess dress up costume--Snow White. She put it right on over her clothes! She touches her sister very gently and brings me her own very special blankie to cover up Lacey when she is sleeping. We have had no acts of aggression or crazy 3 year old behavior so far. She had some tears when I was in the hospital b/c she wanted me to come home and she cries at night when I can't put her to sleep, but other than that, she is rolling with the punches and making me proud.
The biggest difference I notice this time around is that I can enjoy the baby. I am not so stressed out. I can look at her, cuddle her, talk to her and its not always about business. With Lana, I was a mess. I never held a baby, let alone cared for one or fed one or figured out how to have a baby around and still find the time to brush my teeth or eat. This time, it feels so much more natural, easy and even relaxing at times. Of course it helps that she is feeding well and doesn't have jaundice and isn't as intense of a crier, but I think there is a real change in me. I was so terrified and now I feel contentment. Plus I am high from these drugs.

I think the baby has my dad's feet. Long and skinny, with long toes. My dad wore a size 12 shoe. All the rest of us have short stubby feet. Many people told me that the baby would help me feel joy again. Its true, so very true. I know my dad is looking down from heaven with that twinkle in his eye, saying to Lacey, "Hi baby girl". He always said that.

9 comments:

A. said...

Congratulations, she is beautiful! I'm glad things are going so well for all of you this time around, and that you are finding more happy ways to remember your dad.

Maria said...

Julie-
I am so happy for you! What a difference for you! I hope she continues to be such a sweet, easy baby and that Lana keeps doing so great. It is totally different the second time around, much joy to you and the family.

LauraC said...

I am so glad to read this!! And even more glad to read this is bringing you so much joy. Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to hear everything is going well - including the nursing! What a gift :) I know what you mean about enjoying it more the second time around. Isn't it great? Lana looks absolutely adorable holding Lacey. Enjoy!

Beth said...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you. You both needed and deserved an "easy" baby. And knowing what to expect makes all the difference in the world. I can't wait to hear more in the weeks to come. But in the meantime, enjoy!

DesiDVM said...

Congratulations, Julie!! Our little guy came the day after yours...I have a huge post about it in my mind but I've been scared to "jinx" things because like you I've been almost euphoric for the past week. My stress level has been SO MUCH LOWER with the new baby compared to how I was with J. I am truly enjoying having a newborn which for me is saying alot. J has also handled things really well so far which is a blessing.

Anyway I'm so happy to hear that breastfeeding is going well for you, it's so much easier at night than pumping or making bottles!

Donna said...

I am so very happy for you (and your family)! I am also cheering you on that things are easier this time around for the b/f. Really I found it so much more relaxing and easier the second time around. While I have a very strong 1st baby bond with DS1, my bond with DS2 is very different. The immediacy of it was astounding and wonderful. Happy baby days are ahead (and we never had colic the 2nd time around!!!)

jessikahsd said...

Yay and congratulations! So happy to hear how well everything is going! I love the pictures - you have two very beautiful girls.

Megan said...

Yes!! This babymoon is the best!! And the breastfeeding thing is just icing on the cake. it makes a world of difference when that challenge is out of the way. Babies seem 'so easy' the second time around. No negotiating. No management of behavior. They just need love and hugs and swaddles. (I am NOT saying that babies are 'easy'- it is just relative to toddlerstuff!) SO glad that she has already brought you so much tremendous joy. What a sweetie! Congrats!