Monday, June 8, 2009

YAY!

My mom got a job! It took almost 6 months to the day. We found out last Thursday and we have been celebrating. I really felt so discouraged and frustrated for her. She had so many interviews, then second and even third interviews. The employers would tell her they love her, she is a great fit, we will check your references and then call you. And then: a phone call saying they chose the other person or a form letter thanking her for her time, but they chose someone else. The disappointments were devastating. But then on Thursday it happened, she answered the phone and I heard her say, "Great! I am so excited!". We toasted cheers with some sparkling lemonade that night and went to a fancy restaurant the next. Today is her first day and I am waiting anxiously to see how it went. (I assume the commute is totally sucking at the moment, but that is another issue).

This is a new chapter for her and for us as a family. She was so brave to quit her job in Buffalo and move our here just to be with us. It so happened to be right as the economy was tanking and jobs were nowhere to be found. She has never lived anywhere but Buffalo, yet she has made some friends, figured out her way around town and landed a job. All by herself. Many of us do this all the time, for college and beyond. But my mom has been in Buffalo her whole life. She got married at 19, raised me and worked hard to build a life around her family. I feel so proud of her for taking this risk at this point in her life. I am also so grateful to have her near us, to be with us and to watch her granddaughters grow.

The past 6 months of her living with us hasn't been all fun and games. She had to deal with me during my first trimester--I was unpleasantly emotional--in a bad way. I had evil mood swings that I am embarrassed about. She had to deal with the snowstorm that left us housebound for 2 weeks--can you say stir-crazy? She has had to deal with my messiness--she is a clean freak and I know I have driven her nuts with my attitude. But she has developed a bond with Lana and its been nice to give each other hugs more than twice a year. Plus, spending Mother's Day together this year is something I will always remember.

Soon she will get her own apartment and I will convert her room into the nursery for the new baby. But she will be close by and we will see her for Sunday dinners and just because. Its the start of a whole new adventure for her and I am really excited and proud.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Congrats to your mom!