Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Third Birthday Lana!

Three years old. I can't believe it. In some ways I feel like you have been with us forever and in other ways I feel like you were just a tiny little baby like 10 minutes ago. Where has the time gone and why is it going so fast? Don't get me wrong, I would not like to rewind time to those colicky days of your infancy or the frustrating moments where you couldn't talk because you were too little, but clearly had so much to say. But holy cow--3 years old???!!

Now you are this miniature person. So full of energy and ideas and creativity. I see you mature a little bit each day. I love our conversations and I love watching you have conversations with other kids and grownups too. So many people ask me, does she ever stop talking? The answer is no, no you never stop talking. We start our day with you asking me what day is it and what we will be doing today and the questions and commentary does not stop until you wave goodnight to me with an "I love you very much. I love you a little bit and a lot. See you in the morning! Sleep well." Occasionally you add in a "See you in the middle of the night..." just to see if I am paying attention. Ah yes, you are always testing me to see if I am listening, although sometimes you find listening to be a challenge, but that's okay, you are 3 years old.

You love to paint, to cut paper, to glue things. Play-Doh and coloring are still really fun. You love your sandbox and to play in water. You love to help Baba with the gardening, plucking weeds, watering the flowers and berry plants. You especially love to squirt Baba with the hose. I am amazed with how fast you learn new things and that brain of yours! I don't know if I can keep up! You have recently learned to sing full songs by yourself, like all the verses of Mary Had a Little Lamb and We Wish You a Merry Christmas (which is odd to sing in summer, but whatever).

We have some challenging days, but mostly you are a sweet and independent girl. You give hugs and kisses, but only when you want to. You are social with your friends and have terrific sharing and taking turn skills. You are quite impatient, but hey--at least you know what you want and when you want it. This may be a really big problem once your little sister arrives! The other thing we are working on is learning to wait your turn to talk when grownups are talking.

I know you are going to be a great big sister. You will be a teacher and example to her and I know she will look up to you. Plus you are pretty bossy, a true characteristic of big sisters I am told. Baba and I are not sure how its all going to work, giving you a sibling, but I suppose we will learn all together and I am sure we will make mistakes sometimes. Until then, I promise to enjoy the summer together as the three of us, before we become a family of four. I promise to spend lots of time playing with you and taking you fun places and teaching you things.

Thank you sweet daughter for the past three years. I really didn't know true happiness (or true fear) until I saw you. I didn't know pure laughter until you made me laugh. Thank you for making me forget my seriousness and act like a kid again. I can't wait to see what the future holds for us all.

Happy Birthday Lana-Ru!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Happy belated birthday Lana! Hope you had a fabulous day. Julie--awesome letter! So sweet and warm and sincere. Hugs to all of you!

bb said...

Happy Birthday Lana!!!

Maria said...

Happy Happy Birthday Lana!

Megan said...

Happy, happy 3rd birthday! Love this post! I love the line about not knowing pure love or pure fear. And so true about the laughter. Wyeth's giggles can bring me to happy tears! THE BEST! 3 will be a big year for Lana! And all of you!

DesiDVM said...

Happy Birthday, Lana! I can't believe how fast they're all growing up!

jessikahsd said...

Julie, this is the sweetest thing that I have ever read. I am in smiling and in tears at the same time. In lab. Ha ha. Happy belated birthday to Lana! I cannot believe she is 3 already!