Friday, June 6, 2008

Well, that was humbling!

Call the media! Newsflash! You will never believe what I did on Wednesday...I worked out. Yes, for the first time in oh 2 years or so. I hate exercise, mostly because I am totally uncoordinated and untalented at sports. But also b/c I hate sweating. I can't join a gym b/c I don't have protected time to go. I can't run--well I suppose I can, but I don't want to. Running hurts. So I decided to swim at the local swim center. Swimming is good b/c A) I can do it B) if I sweat, I don't notice and C) its a full body workout. They have lap swimming and I can just go whenever I can, rather than signing up for a class or whatever. Every Wednesday Bill's parents take Lana for the day and the idea was I could have some "me" time. I always end up cleaning my house. So I decided I will drop her off and swim before heading home to clean the whole house.

So I get in the water and off I go, swimming at a decent pace. I make it to the other side and continue a second lap. Halfway through the second lap, I am huffing and puffing! I decide I should take a break after each lap to catch my breath since I am SO out of shape. Then this older man (like maybe 70) comes along to share my lane b/c it was busy. He is clearly retired and does this regularly. He swam circles around me! He would swim 10 laps in a row before he would take a breather and then do another 10. Wow! He was fast too! He swam 2.5 laps in the time it took me to make one! Have I mentioned that I am out of shape? I made it about 20 min of lap swimming (including breaks) and then I went to the hot tub for 5 min and I nearly fainted when I stood up! Okay, so its a start, but I have a long way to go...

I am soooo sore.....

1 comment:

Beth said...

Good for you Julie! I hate exercising, too. I like walking, but it takes to darn long, and who has that kind of time? Hope you can keep it up. And boo to cleaning on Wednesdays--you day "off." I think you should clean every other Wednesday and try to do quick maintenance in between. Of course, this from the girl who has grown quite fond of swirling dust bunnies--make that tumbleweeds--and soap scum!