Monday, June 23, 2008

Visit with great-grandparents

I have been a bad blogger lately. This past week my grandparents, who live in Florida, came to visit us. It was so nice to see them and have the company. It was so special to see them interact with Lana. I wish we could do it more often. I am close with my grandparents because when I was growing up they lived 10 min away and I saw them all the time. I am using my experiences and memories of spending time with them toward Lana developing the same type of relationship with my inlaws who also live close by (and in the future with my mom, who is planning on moving here in a few months). I am feeling a little down right now--a bit of a funk perhaps. I always feel this way when I say goodbye to loved ones, but this time I wonder if its the last time I see my grandfather. His health is tenuous and I don't have any plans to see them again in the near future. At this age, you just never know. It was just great to see him smiling and happy. Plus, they have awesome stories--both from long ago and from their senior community that is straight out of Seinfeld.

I was surprised at how much they enjoyed the pacific northwest--I thought they would hate it. We had decent weather--around 70 most days, but man--they were bundled up like it was snowing! Here I am in a t-shirt and jeans, in the car with the windows closed and no air conditioning on and I am sweating buckets. I look over at my grandfather and he is wearing a long-sleeved dress shirt and Bill's fleece zipped all the way up to the neck! Holy crap--if I was wearing that, I would have fainted from heat stroke! I suppose if you are used to 97 and humid, 70 feels like a frigid tundra.

Oh, how Lana loved "grampa and gramma"! It took her all of 10 min to get over any shyness. She loved to show them her toys and color with them. She loved to bring gramma her "walkin stick cane" every chance she got. And of course she kept wanting grampa and gramma to "take a look at Lana" for every little thing. I know that they enjoyed her and she sure did enjoy them too.

Here are some pics from our adventures:

2 comments:

Beth said...

Glad you had a great visit! And you look fantastic, btw. And so do your grandparents. I'm sure they'll be telling their friends about their visit for weeks to come.

Mountain Mom said...

It seems we have had similar weeks this past week. My grandma leaves today. She and I are both sad about it. So glad you had a nice visit.