Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I love preschool!

Two weeks ago Lana started preschool. Just two mornings a week. This preschool let her start mid-year, well, actually its almost the end of the year because I explained that since the new baby is coming in September, it would be great if she could get started this spring to get used to the process. Especially because she is so clingy to me, I thought it would be good to transition now. But she had to be potty trained, so the minute she was I called up the school and signed her up.

So we talked it up with Lana. She loves Richard Scarry's The Great Big Schoolhouse--we used it as a tool to get her psyched about school. We bought the backpack. We took a tour of her classroom and met the teacher. I knew she would cry when I left, although I wasn't sure for how long or intensely. I warned the teacher that she is loud, persistent and she does NOT want to be hugged.

Here is how it went: GREAT!!! She cried, but it stopped after I left and she had a great time! She loves craft time and recess. She comes home singing new songs. She tells me all about her day and what the snack was. She talks about some kid named Broderick and Chloe who has earrings. She still cries when I drop her off and we have to go through this ridiculous routine of a hug, a kiss and a squeeze. Then a, "See you in a while! I love you a little bit and a lot! I love you very much! Have a good day! Bye-Bye!" Once I am outta there, she is fine, even though she obsesses a bit on the drive to school about how she doesn't want me to leave.

I have to say I am so proud of her. I am proud that she is so outgoing with the other kids--they are all about a year older than she is. I am proud that she can talk so well with the teachers and with me about all of the cool things she is doing. I am proud that every morning she asks me if its a school day and she gets disappointed if its not. I feel like she has just matured so much over the last 2 weeks, to do something without Mommy and to be okay with it. I have even noticed at home she can play by herself for a little while, whereas before she started preschool I couldn't even leave the room for a second without her following me and pulling on my arm.

The reason why I REALLY love preschool is my free time! From 8:30-11:30 on Tuesday and Thursday I have nothing in particular to do! I just don't know what to do with myself, but I can tell you that I can get a lot accomplished in those few hours. I know, I better enjoy it now before the new baby arrives--there goes my free time--but that's okay. For the next month, I will enjoy some free time and Lana's new found independence as a big girl who goes to school!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! That sounds great! I was curious when you posted a bit ago about "Starting" preschool in May. So that explains it. I can't wait either- I think my girl is just going to blossom! Sounds like Lana already has. Mothering is just amazing- we care for these little people so deeply and they are so needy. It is so wonderful to watch them set sail and tell us about thier adventures. Good for you! Enjoy that free time. Do things like have a SLOW cup of coffee, etc. All the best!

Beth said...

I second Megan's advice--cherish this time while you can! You'll love it, too, when the baby is born, and you'll have some much-needed one-on-one time with him or her. I'm proud of Lana, too, for doing so well. I have found with William that my anticipation of things is almost always worse than the actual outcome. Let's hope that's always the case!

Unknown said...

Yay Lana! That's so awesome that you were able to start her early. I'm really stressing about the fall, b/c preschool starts mid-Sept and the baby is due 10 days later. I was really hoping for a longer transition for Ashley. Your story gives me hope!