Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The girl who cried wolf

Or as Bill would say, "The girl who cried woof!" He really believes that's how the saying goes. One of Lana's recent developments is telling me every single day, "My stomach hurts" or "Belly ache mommy". This sends me into hyper-crazed mode--should I get a bucket? Should we go home? Is she going to puke or crap herself? If I wait literally 5 seconds and ask her "Does your tummy still hurt or does it feel better?" She responds with a smile, "Feel ALL better!" This kid is trying to give me a heart attack! Doesn't she know I am totally fearful of vomit? WTH is she doing to me? Okay, after the 5th day or so of it, I am starting to not get all torqued out about it. But just when I relax is going to be the day I end up with a lap full of puke--like Beth. Please oh please vomiting viruses stay away from our household! I know its just a matter of time, and I have no immune system so when she gets it, 24h later I will have it too. And to all of my IRL friends who read this: if we have a playdate and your kid is up all night barfing the next day--don't tell me. The anxiety of anticipating puke when you are a puke-a-phobe is crippling! Ok, so I know I am not crazy (or maybe I am), Stacey, back me up on this one :)

4 comments:

bb said...

Okay, I know this is not supposed to be funny, but I laughed at "Feel ALL better!"

Joanna said...

Oh, my little stinker has been doing the tummy ache thing too. I guess he realized the ear hurts thing isn't working anymore.

May I suggest that you get a brown paper bag and line it with a plastic bag to keep handy. That way, you have a place for her to throw up on that one occasion that it's real.

Stacey said...

I am so there with you! The worry is so much worse than the actual barf. I have two suggestions... 1) Get Bill to prescribe some Zofran-- totally helps if you get the barfy and 2)wear a mask (and possibly gloves) if you have to clean up puke. I saw it on John and Kate plus 8- it was my nightmare episode, I almost hyperventilated- at least 6 kids with the barfy? Yikes. But Kate wore gloves and a mask when cleaning up the puke so I think it might work. She didn't get it. At this point I don't care about looking like an idiot. Bring on the colds! I love colds!

Heidi O said...

I have been sick and so my 2 yo has been doing the same thing. But then she smiles or giggles.

I used to be a vomit a phobe but I think you end up getting over it when they actually do it.