Sunday, February 7, 2010

My princess

Lana is going through a HUGE princess phase. Okay, I am not really into the whole princess-you need to be rescued by a man thing or the whole thing about being beautiful is the key element in landing your true love and that happily ever after is your dream come true. I really don't think Lana reads into it at all--she is just seizing an opportunity to dress up, put on jewelry and (gasp!) even a little makeup. But as I read the fairy tales, I am practically dry heaving when I read that Sleeping Beauty dances with Prince Philip and instantly falls madly and deeply in love with him. I try to instill in her that it is more important to be kind than it is to be beautiful and its super great to be smart, but humble. She gets a lot of attention for being pretty--strangers stop us all the time to tell us how pretty she is, which is nice and all, but I don't want her thinking its all-important to be attractive and that's it. I like Mulan because she is strong and independent-ish for a Disney Princess. But like I said, she is just playing dress-up, so its cool for now. Here she is in all her glory:

5 comments:

Donna said...

I truly believe that there are just some things you cannot control. I was surprised when DS1 started talking about what was a girl color or a boy color. What a mommy did and what a daddy did (mommy stays home, daddy works - which makes NO sense since I work full time). Where does he get these things? No idea. But I think the most important thing to teach them is kindness...and you're doing that! Plus she is a cutie too!

Unknown said...

I love it! Especially the foot pose by the fireplace. We haven't reached the princess phase yet, but I agree with you about the emphasis on being beautiful. Thank you, Disney for screwing up our girls! And why does every Disney movie have to have something scary in it?? That's my rant for the day :)

Lana is adorable!!

Megan said...

Love this post! It is close and dear to my heart. The whole line you wrote about getting sick to your stomache while reading the stories! We are decidely anti-princess at our house. Mostly because Daddy is anti-princess. And the whole 'save me' imagery that runs through so many of the stories. This deserves its own post! But I LOVE the pics. The posing! THe make up! And for the record, SEren does have own costumes and enjoys them. Man, I so wish Lana and Seren could live near eachother- it would be a riot! I wonder is Sam will be so 'counter culture' when he raises a boy. Will he buy him a tiara the way he buys Seren trucks!? We shall see.

Joanna said...

She is very pretty...

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

I was a huge princess girl and I loved dressing up. I loved makeup and sunglasses and sparkly stuff. It sounds to me like you have a really good approach to this, and that you will be able to teach her the important lessons while still indulging her fantasy play.

Stacey said...

Ditto what you said. And there are some cool non-princessy but princessy books out there. Two of my faves: The Paper Bag Princess (she saves the prince, he's rude, then she dumps him) and Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? Both help to mitigate the "someday my prince will come and rescue me" vibe.