Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dear Readers (all 9 of you!)

Thank you for all the helpful and sympathetic comments on my last post. Whenever I am feeling down and totally alone in my petty struggles, all I have to do is vent on the internet and a whole bunch of wonderful friends give me support, hugs and advice--how lucky am I? So, I am going to respond to each of you, Babycenter style,--LOL, plus a little tidbit on how I "know" each of you. I say "know" because many of my internet friends I have never met in real life.

Desi--Yeah, its no coincidence that our babies are pulling the same crap at the same time, since they are what, a day or two apart in age. I really don't know how you are managing to work during all this nonsense with the sleep deprivation. Man, if I was working, I don't know how I would be keeping my eyes open during seminars, meetings and at my desk. You are a rock star! If you ever find yourself near Seattle--please let me know!

Desi and I have been chatting via facebook pretty regularly. She has been so helpful and sweet. Its great that not only do we have new babies the same age, but the older siblings are the same age as well. I think we first "met" on the BBC May 06 board.

A.--Thanks so much for your comments and for visiting my blog! I don't really think I have a great attitude at the moment, although I am trying! Yes, we have considered the idea of allergies. We know Lacey is allergic to milk, so I am dairy free (man, do I miss pizza!). We have not yet had her allergy tested for other food intolerances, although we have not ruled it out. Milk allergies are so common in babies, as is eczema and the pediatric dermatologist assured me that its too early to get all freaked out about food allergies b/c most babies do outgrow the milk allergy and eczema is also very common. I also wonder about how accurate the blood tests are for food allergies. The other thing I could try is cutting soy from my diet, but if I did that, I should just go to hypoallergenic formula b/c my diet has a lot of soy--we eat so much Asian food. My ped doesn't think I need to cut soy for now b/c her skin got better, until the latest cold virus. But this is uncharted territory for us, so really, what do I know?

I have never met A., but we know someone in common. I found her through my friend Donna's blog. I'm not sure if you know it already A., but I too am a former scientist, although I am permanently on sabbatical--LOL. I met Donna when she was a grad student and I was an undergrad. See, even on the internet its a small world. I think that being a mom and having a scientist-mind is not a good combination--I always try to gather data and with babies, there is too much variation!

Maria--thanks for your support, always! Vacation? Yes, that will be in April for Bill's birthday and we are going to Kauai, Hawaii. Its so easy to get to from the west coast--direct flight to somewhere warm and tropical. It will be our first trip with both girls--I shudder thinking of the gear we will bring, but I know Lana will enjoy the pool and beaches. I hope Lacey won't try to eat sand. It should be fabulous!

I believe I "met" Maria once I began blogging, probably through LauraC's blog.

Beth--I will totally check out your early blog entries. I didn't realize or remember that you had such trouble with William sleeping in the early days. Oddly, I do feel comfort in the whole "misery loves company"--what does that say about me? If one more perfect stranger asks me if my baby sleeps through the night, I will clock them! Do I look like a person who sleeps? Check out the bags under my eyes and observe the lack of patience I have with my older daughter. I think I am starting to adjust to not sleeping very much, although I still get pretty pissed off in the middle of the night, which is really stupid--being pissed off at a baby. I am not really pissed at her, just the situation.

I met Beth the year we lived in DC. We initially met on BBC and then we met in real life when William and Lana were about 6 or 9 months old! We even got together last year when my dad was sick and we visited him in VA--Beth took a day off to drive halfway to meet us for lunch. Great friend!!

Donna--thanks for the suggestions, I will try them and hope for a pattern to form so I can repeat whatever works! One of the issues is that every single day is different. One day she will have crappy short naps and then she sleeps great (relatively) that night. The next day she has crappy short naps and that night is a disaster. I just can't seem to figure this kid out! I think in all of my whining, I totally misrepresented Lacey and her temperament. While she has all of these issues, she is such a happy, smiley, content and non-fussy baby. I know fussy. Lana was fussy--her colic lasted well beyond the 3 months--but Lacey is just happy. She just doesn't sleep or follow a schedule of any kind. I am totally aware and grateful for her temperament b/c if she was fussy on top of this, well I would be way way crazier. She even laughs! I don't remember Lana laughing as a baby--its miraculous that we ever got photos of her smiling b/c she just seemed so very unhappy. Lacey is so sweet and cuddly--I just wish she would sleep more without waking up every stinking hour.

I met Donna a million years ago (doesn't it feel that way?) when I was an undergrad and got a job at the Cancer Center in the lab where she was doing her PhD. She taught me so much about science, which led me to follow in her footsteps. She still has an awesome career and 2 great boys :)

Joanna--I totally agree that the books make you feel like you have to do something about everything. Its kind of like going on the internet with symptoms and you convince yourself you have a really serious disease. I forced myself to close the damn books--my kid doesn't go by the books and that is OKAY. I also agree that in the short term I can ride this out, but over the long haul it is not good for me physically to never sleep.

I have never met Joanna in real life, but I would like to. I have a feeling she would just make me laugh my ass off nonstop.

LauraC--I think about you every single time I do laundry (which is every day) b/c I am amazed at the amount of laundry with 2 kids and I think--imagine baby laundry with twins, especially one (or both) with reflux--holy crap! Lana was just like Nate with the fussiness, colic, swaddling super tight and the sleep training taking 3 weeks (not 3 days like the books say). It was brutal and as sleep deprived as I am right now, I am so grateful for Lacey's sunny disposition--whew!

Everyone knows LauraC is like a blog-celebrity! I "met" you through Beth's blog.

Jessikahsd
--thanks for the support :) Yeah, we are super excited about vacation! Not exactly the types of vacations we used to take pre-kids, but still.

I know Jessikahsd from my time in San Diego. She was a tech in the lab where I did my post-doc. It was a nutty, nutty place, but we had a great time making fun of all the weirdos we worked with and for. Now she is about to get her PhD and is achieving great things!

Megan--thanks so much for the comment. It was just what I needed to hear! Not just that you went through it too, but that at some point, poof, it was behind you and you can almost not remember it. Hope! I need hope! Dude, driving on the highway at 2am? That is pretty crazy.

I also met Megan through Beth's blog.

So thanks again to all of you for making me feel better during this rough patch, which I know shall pass. I gotta go to bed now.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Julie- you are so sweet. I really hope that the sleep issues are resolved soon, it can just be so trying. Have a blast on vacation, the warm will feel so good, and hopefully the beaches will make both girls so tired that you actually get sleep! Oh, the food allergy thing. Allie was allergic to seriously everything as an infant. I had to cut out; soy, dairy, wheat, peanut, corn, egg, shellfish. It was nightmarish. She had horrible skin, and broke out in hives if I ate any of it. We survived on sweet potatoes rice and beans. She outgrew all of her allergies and eats everything now, so there is hope! Hang in there.

A. said...

Just stumbled on this update post - how nice of you to give a shout out! Donna and I work together, so I know you are a fellow former scientist (I work in science admin now, and don't actually DO any science, so not sure I would call myself a scientist anymore). I think this is the best part of blogging - keeping up with friends, and making new friends through their friends. It's such a small world, this blogosphere! For example, I have been reading LauraC's blog for a long time, because my sister (www.mommyesq.com) has twins, and she and Laura are part of that big Moms of Multiples blogging community that link to each other and read each other's posts. Then I find your blog through Donna, and lo and behold, you and LauraC are blog friends, too!