Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year

We celebrated Chinese New Year at my inlaws' house for dinner on Sunday. It was a big one this year because Lana is finally able to make homemade dumplings. She did great! She took the wonton wrapper, added some meat mixture, dipped her finger in water to wet the edges of the wrapper and she finished it by folding and pinching the dumpling together. She could have done this all day long and was disappointed when we were done. I was so proud of her, a big kid indeed! She didn't eat any of them (she has a cold and a decreased appetite), but that's okay. She was so cute too, giving her grandparents "hong bao", the red envelopes containing money. I love watching her embrace these traditions and hope that she always feels like its special, rather than different, to have this as part of her family and life.

I'd like to say we had a great long weekend, since Bill had Monday off, but we had some good times and rough patches. Lana came down with a bad cold on Saturday. She didn't seem phased by it, even though her nose was a faucet and she probably sneezed 200 times. One of said sneezes shot mac and cheese into my hair and my soup--yuk! Motherhood is so glamorous. Sunday was probably the best day because Lana and I spent some time together on the outside--we went to lunch and to Michaels for a craft re-load, followed by our Chinese New Year's celebration. Monday was horrendous. Lana and I went to Super Wal-Mart for groceries. I will NEVER go to Wal-Mart on a weekend ever again. It was so crowded and it took longer to check out than it did to shop. We were gone 2h. During this outing I reprimanded or yelled at Lana countless times. I can't remember such a contentious outing in quite some time. She sat in the cart and kicked me, hit me, used her outdoor voice repeatedly. She wasn't having a tantrum, she was just acting out to get my attention, my negative attention. I did not react well or appropriately. It was embarrassing. I was so mad at her b/c every time I told her to stop or to be quiet she thought it was funny. I did not. Lana does this thing when she is either A) bored, B) overtired or C) sick--she talks nonstop. When she runs out of things to say, she makes noise. Things like: meana meana meana meana or blah blah blah blah. It makes me crazy. Add a crying baby to this noise and I want to jump out the window, or at least run really fast. And I don't run. I think its possible I get overstimulated with noise. Its also possible that I was the one in the bad mood, not Lana. Give me a break people, I haven't slept for more than 2h in a row for at least 2 months now. Lacey and I now have Lana's cold, which I am so excited about, so more sleep is not likely any time soon. But I am happy that we had a nice Chinese New Year and that the family is together. There is something so nice about hearing the house full of people and then sitting down to a family dinner. After all of those years living away from family, its nice to be together again.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Oh Julie, I'm sorry for the horrendousness of your outing. I also have a hard time being calm with all of the whining and sickness and feel doubly bad because of all of nurturing I am not doing. Not always, but I always seem to remember those times. I'm glad to see you back, and Happy Chinese New Year! Oh, the sneeze into your soup mad me howl! Sorry.

Unknown said...

Hi Julie! I hope the sickness leaves your house soon. That's no fun for anyone. I'm also noise adverse - can't stand it when the TV is too loud, can't deal with whining, etc. Let me know if you find any tricks for dealing with it! Glad you had fun with your extended family. You're so lucky to have them nearby.

Megan said...

I am with Maria- the sneeze comment was just too gross and too funny not to laugh! Lord. I have a recent memory of Seren and I in Walmart. Something about the place makes me crazy to begin with. It ended with me picking her up, and carrying her kicking and screaming from the store. Like one of "those" parents. I was mad. Embarassed. Ugh. So hard! Like you said- good moments and bad moments. Hugs!

Beth said...

Sounds like the good, the bad, and the ugly. Just like my life! LOL. Glad you guys had a great New Year. I love how you embrace Lana's heritage, so how can she not? And I'm so glad you're surrounded by family now. How's your mom doing btw? Does she like her job and the west coast?

Joanna said...

Dude! I just had a grocery shopping outing just like that with Michael. Turns out he was such an annoying bugger because he had a double ear infection. Not only did he drive me crazy, I ended up feeling guilty about it!

I'm sorry that things are so rough right now. I really wish I could help you out. Even if you could get some sleep, I think it would be a little bit better.

The soup sneeze, on the other hand, was really funny. It reminded me of Michael wiping his nose on my black sweater 3 times yesterday.