Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My big girl

Dear Lana,

I am feeling so proud of you lately and a little sad that our time with just the two of us is almost over. I know that your little sister will be a gift to you ultimately, even though you may not see it that way for a long time. But, you have become my little buddy, my girl, no wait--my big girl.

You go to school now and you will tell anyone who will listen about school--literally anyone--people off the street--you broadcast how much you love school. You tell me about your new friends, who was the special leader, who you played table toys with. You tell me about circle time, what songs Miss Sue teaches you, the books that are read, and of course the snack--very important indeed.

You finally are totally going on the potty all the time with no accidents--hooray for that! But I know you are proud of yourself and that this qualifies you for official big girl status in your eyes. You remind me every day about which toys are for big girls and which toys are suitable for babies. Sometimes I want you to stop growing up so fast--like when you say you like Hannah Montana--yikes! How do you know about Hannah Montana? You are only 3?? You tell me you saw her in the Disney Store and she has beautiful long hair and makeup. Okay, stop it--you are really making me nervous. Wubbzy is still cool, right? I love Wubbzy!

I know we are making a huge deal about you being a big girl and your new role as big sister in our family, but you are ready for it. Miss Independent, you are not a follow-the-crowd-kind of girl. You have a great spirit and I am always impressed when you approach other kids (even older kids) to politely ask for a turn. I would have never done this at your age! It was too scary for me, but not for you!

Your imagination astounds me--it is so creative, you make us laugh and when you laugh, well life is perfect b/c you have the best belly laugh in the whole world. I love your made-up princess fairy tales, your birthday parties for Hello Kitty and your dance moves. I especially love introducing you to your audience--it goes something like this, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mama proudly presents Miss Lana Ru-Yi starring as the magician of the night--YAY!!!" (cue clapping and your grand entrance). I also have been loving your help in the kitchen--you make some killer pancakes and you can crack an egg almost as good as I can.

You have been sweet, oh so sweet. I know you are saving sour Lana for when I bring home your little sister, which is okay. Its going to be rough for me too. I will be crabby too. I feel like these last few days are creeping up on me. I want to enjoy every minute of you, undivided. I feel sad that from now on things will be different. I will miss our morning cuddles especially. I will figure out a way that we can still have our special time and I hope that you know you will always be my special big girl. Your face makes me smile and you are by far my greatest accomplishment in life.

So I know things are about to change and get a little tricky, but just know that I am proud, so very proud of my big girl.

Love, Mom

7 comments:

-Bridget said...

What a sweet post! And what a big step. You are both going to love her next stage by going to preschool.

Maria said...

Very sweet post. It only gets better from here. Having two is such a joy. I can't wait for you to know all about it!

Megan said...

Oh no. Sniff! Sniff!! Sigh. This post is perfect. You are going to love having a second but you are right too...that a big change is only a few days away. What a challenging thing to wrap your mind around! I'm excited for you guys and can't wait to hear how everyone adjusts. What a special time you have had and WILL have. Eat up these moments like bon-bons but trust that you will have more of them as well. :)

LauraC said...

Beautiful tribute right before she becomes a big sister. I'm sure she will love this post one day!

DesiDVM said...

My sentiments exactly...I've been trying to savor every little moment with J lately. I know we'll all eventually love having the new little guy but I can't help feeling like a really sweet and wonderful chapter of our relationship is coming to a close. I didn't expect to feel so sad about it! I just keep reminding myself that I was the exact same age when my little sister was born and I really don't remember a time when she wasn't there. Only a few days to go, yikes!!!

Joanna said...

Sniff, sniff. So bitter sweet.

AS for enjoying having a sister...it took my sister and I about 25 years to figure that out, but once we got to that point, it was well worth the wait.

Beth said...

What everyone else said! LOL. Seriously, you guys are going to do great. And the best thing about number two is that no matter how bad it gets, you know for a fact that you'll get past it. You have first-hand experience. It makes all the difference in the world. I think Lana will be fine. She might even surprise you!