Monday, February 2, 2009

Ugh, this phase!

I don't know if I have winter doldrums or what, but Lana has been a wee bit more difficult in the past couple of weeks. She cycles between the sweetest child on the planet and total pain in the ass. Every morning within the first hour of the day I am analyzing her to see if we have Sweet Lana or Defiant Lana. The last couple of days she has been just adorably sweet. She has been saying "please" and asking things in a nice voice. She even thanks me for cooking dinner every night when we sit down to eat. Kisses and hugs--oh its just the BEST. She tells fantastic stories and uses a napkin to wipe her hands and face declaring, "I am a big girl Mommy!"

But then...Oh boy, look out. Defiant Lana spends half the day in time out. She hits, she bites, she throws her toys or worse--rips a book!!! Where did this hell-child come from? She demands and defies. I say "Put on your pants please" and she pitches a fit, declaring that she will be naked all day long. I have to threaten punishment just to get some simple request fulfilled. "If you don't put away your Play-Doh, I will take away Candy Land and put it in the closet and you won't get to play with it until tomorrow!" I hate being so mean, but geez, just follow the rules and we will be all set! I struggle to find my inner patience and I see my mom looking at me like I am the worst type of parent that cannot control their child. (okay, in all fairness she is not judging me, but I am projecting that one onto myself).

I wake up every morning hoping for Sweet Lana, but if Defiant Lana shows up, I guess I just have to take a deep breath and hope for a long nap.

2 comments:

LauraC said...

Defiant Nate lives at our house (I call him Nate 2.75). Maybe he and Defiant Lana can duke it out. We've had to resort to lots of threats of taking away privileges as he doesn't respond to time outs anymore.

Megan said...

mt god, i could have written this post!! it is like a switch! it is exhasusting!! And it isnt fun to always lay down the rules! hang in there- we are right there with you!!