Thursday, January 29, 2009

Playing Catch Up

We had a huge snowstorm. In December. Before Christmas. Okay I am a bit late in blogging about our epic snowstorm and it has all melted and we have our typical rainy winter now, but since half the country is still being pummeled by snow, and its not May or anything, I figured I could still post some pics of Lana's very first snowman! Just one week after my mom moved here to the Pacific NW, we got snow--a LOT of snow. It was ridiculous. Nobody here even owns snow shovels. All the Home Depots/Lowes were sold out, so everyone was shoveling with their garden shovels (or in desperate cases, their children's sand shovels--I saw this more than once). There were no plows to cover the side streets. We got stuck several times. I shoveled every single day for 2 weeks. We played in the snow, went sledding and built a snow man.

Here is Lana hugging Mr. Snowman:

It took her at least a week to figure out that she could eat snow:
More love for Mr. Snowman:
We have great memories of our first big snowstorm, but what I am leaving out is the sheer frustration we all felt about being house-bound for 2 weeks. Ugh! We were going crazy- kukoo. Plus, it was days before Christmas and I hadn't finished my shopping. We finally braved the ice and snow to get to the mall to finish up, but we were literally ice skating in the parking lot. In a city that is not prepared for snow, it was not easy to get around and live. But playing in the snow and the smell and sound of a fresh snowfall was nostalgic for me and certainly festive.

1 comment:

Donna said...

How pink, how cute! I love the pictures...yes I do not miss the snow at all. We got a few inches this week and the entire state was paralyzed!