Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why I haven't been around: Part 1

Things around here have been a little crazy lately. Big life events going on, some of which I want to talk about, some not so much, at least not at the moment. I keep thinking I can come on and blog about some silly story that happened during the day, but I always feel like I am writing about something I don't really want to be writing about because what I really feel like writing about I can't. So I held off long enough. Guess what? Lana is going to be a big sister!! YAY! We couldn't be happier. I am 9 weeks, so its still early--technically too early to tell, but half the world knows anyway because I cannot keep my big mouth shut. I thought about waiting till the magical 12 week mark, but I also figure that if something tragic should happen, I will want the support of my blogfriends, plus whether I tell now or in three weeks will not determine the outcome, so okay I spilled my secret. And we saw the heartbeat last week, so that is something.

These past few weeks have really surprised me. This pregnancy is so very different from when I was pregnant with Lana. In every way. With Lana, I was sick at 4 weeks and continued to be severely nauseous/dry heaving/metallic taste in mouth until 17 weeks. It was awful. I lost 10 pounds. I cried out of frustration every single day. I ate nothing but carbs--cereal, white potatoes, rice and broth, the friggen saltines. It was 24/7--I got up in the middle of the night eating some carb to keep me from dry heaving all over the place. This time however, I don't really feel nauseous that often. I get a little queasy in the evenings, especially if I don't snack enough, but I am eating. Real food. With protein. And it tastes good (except veggies--they taste funky). I am functioning well! I am actually taking prenatal vitamins! I am so so so relieved!! It really makes a huge difference in my attitude and daily life.

On the downside, I am way more tired this time. It could be that I am taking care of a toddler, but last time I was working a fairly demanding job. I think last time I wasn't as fatigued b/c I was so focused on not puking, I didn't have time to be tired.

Lana is as aware of the impending baby brother/sister as much as she can be at her age. Many of my friends are having their second, so we have been talking about their growing families for a while. She gives my belly kisses and tells her brother/sister to "knock it off" when I am feeling a little wonky. I think she will do well as a big sister as soon as the whole--my world is upside down--feeling passes. She loves to teach and show people things she knows, and she is pretty bossy too. My mom keeps telling me that Lana is going to freak out with the arrival of a new baby b/c she is so used to having our attention. But really, what older sibling doesn't have a hard time when the family expands? I know it will be a rough transition, but we will get through it and I think she will fall into her new role naturally.

10 comments:

LauraC said...

Congratulations!!!
I also can't keep a secret and so I started my blog on the day I found out I was pregnant!

Best wishes for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

London said...

Congratulations! I'm terrible about secrets, I would be blabbing if my period was a day late, honestly.

Maria said...

Congrats! That is awesome. Happy Healthy reat of your pregnancy. Lana will do great as a big sister, don't worry.

Beth said...

You are already ahead of the game, realizing that of course, it will be a transition, and things will, at times, be hard. Lana will do great, though, and knowing her--will relish her new role. I'm so so happy to hear that all things considered, you feel pretty good this time around. Kind of makes you think that maybe it's a boy, huh? :-)

Donna said...

Congratulations!! Having just gone through having our second, I can tell you there is an adjustment but it isn't as bad as you may imagine and it is a whole lotta fun. Congrats again!!!

Stacey said...

I am so happy for you guys! Congrats!

bb said...

Congratulations!

Megan said...

I am so out of touch! I am back at work and back at reading blogs and commenting. YEAH!! Congrats!! What great news!! This is so fun! Lana will do great. these kids, they always surprise us! So good! Hang in there and so glad to hear that you aren't feeling as crappy!

DesiDVM said...

Julie - not sure if you will see this b/c it's been awhile...I am due Sept. 28 so basically the same time as you! I wanted to write something here when you first posted but I wasn't ready to "out" myself yet LOL. Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Yay! Congratulations Julie! I'm so happy for you and Bill (and Lana too) and glad you're feeling better this time around. I'm due Sept 26th and the exhaustion is insane. I literally count the minutes till naptime :)