Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lacey is not the only one who is easygoing

Its funny what a different mom I am this time. When Lana was born, its no secret that it didn't go well, and I did not fall into motherhood naturally. Since she had colic, I read every parenting book I could get my hands on to try to figure out how to fix the incessant crying, especially the sleep books, b/c man oh man I needed some sleep. Like more than a 2h nap, some serious sleep! I documented her every move--how many wet/poopy diapers she had, how many ounces of milk she drank and how often, how many minutes she slept. I had a sheet of paper I took everywhere so that I could refer to the schedule, even though it wasn't a schedule per se. I was a slave to the pump b/c if I missed a pumping session or even delayed it, I was afraid of losing my supply, which was already not abundant. I think I was also reading those books to try to glean some info on how to be a good mother, b/c at the time, I knew nothing about babies and I was pretty insecure. We got her in her crib as soon as we moved into our townhouse and we sleep trained her at 3 months. She was the kind of kid that needed to sleep in her crib for all naps as well as night time, so if I was out, I was running home to get that kid in her crib before she really flipped her lid. One yawn and I was marching her upstairs. To this day she is a very routine-driven child and it works for her (and us).

Lacey is now 8 weeks old. After the first few days where you have to monitor how much weight they gain, I don't think I have looked at the clock since. She feeds when she is hungry or rooting, she sleeps when she conks out in my arms. She has never slept in her crib for more than 30 minutes b/c this baby wants to be held and I am not ashamed to say I enjoy holding her, even if I am spoiling her. She has no schedule. I don't think this is a big deal b/c she is still so little, but it occurred to me yesterday that maybe she should have a consistent bedtime. Or something? I really do want to get her in the crib, but she loves to co-sleep on my body where its warm. Who doesn't like to cuddle? So its funny, the second time around I am just so opposite of where I was the first time around. Lacey and I go with the flow. I hope to get her a little more regimented, but I am not sure when that will happen. I guess I am not in a huge hurry b/c things seem to be working just fine for now.

I do wish Lacey would smile. Even though Lana was a miserable baby, she was smiling by 6 weeks, so its perplexing that Lacey who is so content is not smiling yet. She gives little half-grins, but nothing consistent and certainly nothing I could photograph. Speaking of photos, this poor kid does not get photographed the way Lana did. I suppose that is common with #2. I want to, but I don't have a lot of free time to take a bunch of photos of a wiggly newborn hoping one turns out. Plus her eyes are always closed b/c she likes to sleep, so that's not a cute photo. Maybe I am waiting for her to smile to really go camera crazy.

Lacey is beginning to coo and make "ooh" noises which is so cute and rewarding. Bill and I can not get over how this baby will actually be awake and not screaming. We didn't know babies did that!

I was re-reading some of my recent posts and I came across as very grumpy and depressed. Its actually not how I have been feeling at all. Oh, I have my moments, given the events of the past couple of months, but overall I am happy and thankful for so many blessings in our lives. My girls just make me feel so full. Full of life, full of joy. So this Thanksgiving, I will be grateful and I will stop and remember all of the reasons that my life is so blessed. Plus, I am really looking forward to mashed potatoes. And pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Enjoy your families!!

3 comments:

Joanna said...

It's a good thing that the one with colic came first. Could you imagine trying to deal with that now?

I had to giggle about the tracking sheets. I saved all of the ones I did with Michael. Both the poop/eat ones and the sleep tracking. I guess some of us might be a little bit data driven; )

DesiDVM said...

Once again our lives are eerily similar in some ways:) With J I was definitely more anal about the schedule,especially after I went back to work. I didn't keep a chart but my eye was always on the clock. J wasn't colicky at all, actually he was a very happy baby...but he was one of those babies that is perfectly happy to take a couple 20 min naps during the day and then be wiiiiiide awake the rest of the time. I felt so exhausted with him. We put him in his crib by 9 wks right before I went back to work, with a swaddle and noise machine and very consistent (i.e. rigid) bedtime routine. I can't say that was a bad thing b/c to this day he goes to bed by himself in his own room and for the most part never gets up at night. But getting him off schedule causes major issues.
Jr., on the other hand, has been more "spoiled." He sleeps ALOT compared to J, esp during the day - at 8 weeks he's still awake maybe only 6 hrs of the day. At night he goes to bed way later than J ever did b/c he sleeps in bed with us, which we never really did with J and which I have come to love, esp for nursing (why didn't it occur to me to nurse lying down with J? I was such a rookie LOL).

Anyway I oculd go on and on as usual but I know what you're saying. Jr. just started really smiling in the last 2 weeks, while I have J documented full-on smiling by 3 weeks. The differences between the two are interesting...

Megan said...

Oh the second child...and the second time we are moms. Such a different experience. I savored the baby time more. I was less anxious about 'milestones'. I kept the data sheets both times though! (I am a data analyst during my day job). But I fed when he needed to eat, etc. So glad that you are happy mom of two. There are going to be moments when it is tough, tough but also when it is awesome. What a great post. So glad that everyone is sleeping better and just 'chilling'.