Monday, November 23, 2009

Bah Humbug

I am not looking forward to the holidays this year. I don't mean to be a bummer, but I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the whole process. The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas go SO fast and are filled with shopping, wrapping and shipping. And don't forget the Christmas cards! Yikes. Like most women (I think), my husband is not involved. I do it all, and I should b/c I am a stay at home mom, right? Except that this year, I have two kids and I am up several times a night at which time I am thinking about what I should buy everyone, instead of trying to fall back to sleep, which is just shooting myself in the foot. I am not sure how I will be navigating the mall with 2 kids, while I actually use brain activity to think about gift giving and finding a good deal and all that crap. My strategy is to take someone with me, which would be my mom b/c well my husband is not involved, but that means we are doing it on the weekends with every other human being. Bill hates the holidays b/c he didn't grow up with them. I am also trying to do some online shopping, but I don't really like to b/c I can't touch the merchandise and I like to.

Normally I am festive. I like the holidays. I like traditions, family get-togethers and Christmas songs. Maybe I am in a bad mood b/c my dad is gone and I feel his absence and how on earth can I be happy this holiday season? Maybe I am just a little overwhelmed by anything extra. Maybe I just need a nap. Maybe its been raining for too many days straight. Maybe I need to get some gifts purchased to feel like I will actually get it done. I will really try to perk up my mood, b/c I want to enjoy the holidays like I usually do. I will try, really.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

I make a list and online shop as much as possible bc I don't have the time, energy or patience to go out to the stores! It's fun to wrap when it gets here then send off.

Joanna said...

I think your long list of maybes probably has a lot to do with everything.

You've got a lot on your plate this year. I'd suggest that you step back, focus on a few areas that make the holiday's special, and don't worry about the rest.

This probably won't be your best Christmas ever, so really, why knock yourself out over it. Take care of yourself now and I think next year you will feel a little more like making a big deal out of it. This is the first year I'm really excited about it since Michael was born.

Beth said...

What Joanna and Laura said! Seriously, just do the fun stuff with Lana that you enjoy, and don't worry about the rest. She doesn't know the difference! I do Christmas pretty much by myself, too, and I have to listen to Ed bitch about it, to boot! Since he's Jewish, he has a slight attitude when it comes to all things Christmas. But I told him when we got married that me and Christmas were a package deal. Anyway, don't put a lot of pressure on yourself about what Christmas should be. Just do what you can, and what you want, and that will be enough. Hugs!

Donna said...

Seriously, get used to the on line shopping. It is the ONLY way I can get anything done at all. Oh, and I am having my hubby watch the kids on sunday so I can go out by myself.