Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Taking a break...

I am not going to be blogging about kid stuff for a few days or weeks even. I can't even think about anything other than my dad right now. He was admitted to the hospital over the weekend with shortness of breath. He has fluid around his heart and lungs, which they drained, but he is still having a lot of trouble breathing. The cancer has spread to his liver. I spoke to his oncologist by phone and he said that the situation is quite serious and that he likely has only days to a couple of weeks to live. Hospice is visiting the family today, but I am not sure when he will be released from the hospital.

I am in my 35/36 week of pregnancy. I am trying to get a hold of my doctor to see if I can travel. After doing some research, I don't know if this is the best idea. At this stage of pregnancy, flying presents a significant increase in risk of waters breaking, going into labor or getting a DVT. They recommend if you have to fly, it should be a short flight, so that you don't get dehydrated. There are no direct flights from Seattle to Richmond and its conservatively a 7h trip, plus layovers. I am unable to safely deliver vaginally since my pelvic bones are too narrow, plus I have already had a C-section, so an emergency VBAC on a plane does not sound like a good idea. Factor in the stress of the situation--I just don't know if I should do it. This of course means that I may never see my dad again and I will likely miss his funeral. I feel terribly sad and guilty. If I wasn't this pregnant, I would have been on a plane last night.

Please don't criticize my decision, I have already been crying for days and I feel like crap. My friends have been wonderful, beyond wonderful and I wonder how lucky I am to have met such selfless, generous and supportive women in the short time I have been living here. The faraway friends have been awesome too, just for the record.

Lana has been having lots of questions, which have been difficult to answer. I think to some extent she understands what is going on, but it breaks my heart to have to answer questions that even I don't know the answer to, about death, heaven, etc. These little kids are far more intuitive that we give them credit for. I feel kind of bad too b/c she has been sitting in front of the tv a little too much and I haven't been the most engaged mother. My inlaws are taking her today so that I can talk to my doctor, my dad and do any errands that I need to take care of.

9 comments:

Joanna said...

{{{HUGS}}} There really is no easy choice in this situation. Your father, your family, and you and your little bean will be in my thoughts.

LauraC said...

Oh Julie, I am so very sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with your entire family. My grandmother got diagnosed with cancer, died, and had her service while I was on bed rest. It was a very very tough time, and I struggled with a lot of the guilt. I also went into pre-term labor from the stress. Your #1 job right now is to safely grow your baby. And Lana will be just fine watching tv, she will let you know when she needs something else.

I know there is absolutely nothing I can say to make you feel better, except that you have many friends thinking of you, even the ones you have never met.

Beth said...

Julie I am so so sorry. How could anyone possibly criticize your decision. It's heart-wrenching either way. And I'm sure the last thing your dad wants is for you to jeopardize your pregnancy. Please know I'm thinking of you guys and praying for both your Dad and you to find peace. Hugs.

Maria said...

Julie-
I am so sorry that you are having to face such a decision. You and your dad both have my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

My heart hurts for you, Julie. Hugs, hugs, hugs. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Donna said...

Oh dear, how could anyone criticize you and your decision? I feel so badly for you, what a terrible thing life can be sometimes. Oh sweetie, I just wish there is something I could do. If you need me, please call me. Do you have my number? I am right here in Maryland, if I can do something tell me.

jessikahsd said...

I wish I was there to give you a hug. Stay strong and know that so very many people love and care about you and are praying for you and your dad.

Julie said...

Thank you all so very much. I cannot express in words how much your support means to me.

Megan said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry, Julie! I am just reading this post now. I have no words to say other than I will be thinking of all of you as you go through the next hard weeks. Hoping that peace comes your way.