Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Can a 3 year old have colic?

I have talked about how Lana is either super-sweet or not pleasant at all (we sometimes call it sour Lana). Well, we just had a hell of a weekend with sour Lana. I don't understand it. I know part of it is being 3, but I also know many 3 year olds and not all of them can tantrum as intensely or persistently as Lana. I can usually tell whether its a sweet or sour day based on how long it takes me to get her to the bathroom to pee first thing in the morning. Some days, I simply say, "Lana let's go pee and then we can go downstairs for breakfast." and she will bound out of bed and comply. Other days its a 20 minute battle of wills to just sit on the damn potty and take a whizz so we can move on. She will lay on the bath mat, saying, "I don't want" or "I won't". Sheesh, isn't your bladder about to explode??

Well, Saturday began with a battle to pee, so I knew I was in for it. As we were leaving for my mom's, she tripped and broke her graham crackers in half. Not into little bits, only in half. She lost it! She insisted I go back in the house for new crackers that were intact. I said no way, they taste the same--you'll eat em if you are hungry. She blew! Full on crazed tantrum--over broken GRAHAM CRACKERS!! I couldn't buckle her into her seat. I yelled. Which doesn't work by the way. I closed the door on her, so I could take a deep breath, which only made it worse. She cried and cried and screamed. I finally buckled her in and started to drive away. She ate the broken graham crackers. WTF?

We had 2 more similar incidents while we were out looking for a sofa for my mom, although they were not quite as crazy. Here is the fun part--I got her down for a much-needed nap and she woke up 2 hours later screaming bloody hell. For a half an hour. Something about how I left and didn't come back. At first I thought she was dreaming, but she meant that I didn't sleep with her. I never do. She wailed and cried and screamed and nothing I could do would make her calm down. I sat still. She got mad. I left the room, she got mad. I opened the curtains--she got mad. I mean like kicking and screaming and throwing her stuffed animals. It was quite the scene. It reminded me of colic. Screaming if I am there or not, for no good reason, totally inconsolable. It was exhausting! After it was all over, she said she was sorry, but could offer no explanation. Is her brain misfiring? A loose connection up there?

Anyway, I write this after spending the most perfect day with sweet Lana. She was kind, obedient. We laughed together, had great tender moments, lots of hugs and kisses. No fighting, no threats, no tears. We did so many crafts and didn't watch tv at all. We walked holding hands at the mall, got jamba juices and a snack. It was fun, not just for her, but for me too. I loved it. Plus, she hugged and kissed my belly, which was nice.

I don't understand how this is the same kid as the one who flipped out on me a few days ago. I think perhaps she is just intense in everything she does. She loves intensely, and gets pissed off intensely. I appreciate sweet Lana days and I try to savor them and remember them on sour Lana days.

Yes, Laura and Joanna, I am getting that book.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

All I have to say is 3-year-olds are INSANE! Totally batshit crazy! Out of their Effing minds!

Michael had a major 30 minute meltdown on Sunday morning over the "little black thingy with the letters" I got him everything that fit that description, but none of them were right. He screamed like I was murdering him. Finally, after handing him my old cell phone for the THIRD time he decided that was it, and played with it happily for 3 seconds and then went off and did something else.

Bren said...

What book?? Please tell me because I deal with this now with my 2 year old! It can take me 20 minutes to wrangle her out of her crib and it can be all down hill from there. I really really feel for you! When do tantrums end?? Before my sanity disappears I hope!

Donna said...

Didn't anyone warn you that the threes are so much more challenging (read that horrible) than the terrible twos? Seriously, the twos are a cake walk compared to three. It isn't colic, it isn't brain misfires, it is just three. Hold on and pray for four (which by the way is considered the fearless fours where they try to kill themselves for the pure joy of it!)

LauraC said...

It is like you are describing Nate to a T. Colicky baby, super super super hard 3 year old. I actually said to him last night, "I don't know how to make you happy Nate. Tell me what you want." and honestly, he just wanted to be grumpy.

We've found with Nate when he gets out of control, he needs to be in his room to calm down. Sometimes after 20 minutes of crying, he is still not ready to come out. I leave the door unlocked so he can come out but he prefers to stay there until he is ready.

And don't get me started on mornings! I hate having to get him out of the house on a schedule. Worst part of my entire day.

DesiDVM said...

I hate the 3 year old tantrum. The high-pitched whining so I can't understand a word he's saying, the throwing things and kicking and falling down, the random screaming and accusing me of doing things to him when I'm just standing there...

We also have the morning potty battle. Some days I'll hear him get up and go on his own, other days he'll run around holding himself b/c he obviously needs to go but yet he insists on fighting and screaming and acting insane. I loooooove being late to work because my toddler wouldn't pee in the morning LOL.

Megan said...

For me it is the whinning. "I don't wannnna." It is seriously just exhausting. I so feel for you. It is like a switch. I guess I'm like this with my 'cleaning modes' where I go crazy cleaning. And no one can stand in my way. Or talk to me because I'll just be grumpy. Seen in that light, I guess my little diva is just 'ok'. Either that or *I*'m a headcase just like her! :) We are ALL with you on 3 year olds. Sigh. And true also about how little and cute and small they can be as well.