Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I am so excited, I may jinx it, but I am too excited to care

Welcome to another potty training post. Just thought I would let you know ahead of time in case this type of thing bores you or grosses you out or you are just sick of hearing about the minutia of training little people to do their business in the toilet rather than in their pants.

SHE DID IT!! Lana peed on the BIG POTTY, yes the regular adult toilet! More than once. All day long!! And she helped me put away her little blue potty to save for "didi or mei-mei" (translation--little brother or little sister).

Sounds like no biggie for an almost 3 year old. I mean, aren't most almost 3 year olds, especially girls, potty trained by now, or almost there? Well, Lana has been pee-trained, even overnight for months, like maybe 6 months, but she would only go in the little blue plastic potty. If I tried getting her on the regular toilet, she would scream and kick. What's the big deal you ask? I'll tell you: I have to bring with me the training pant Pull-Ups and a diaper (for poo b/c the pull-ups do not do the trick) with me everywhere--public places, friends houses, the park, etc. If we go through our stash--get in the car and head home b/c my uber-stubborn child will not even entertain sitting on a toilet at a friends' or relatives' house and certainly not on a public toilet--it may automatically flush on her and sweep her away to China. For a while it didn't bug me, but 6 months later of independent pottying, I have been getting annoyed with her for just being stubborn. I have tried bribes, encouragement, jumping up and down all to no avail.

Then today when I asked if she wanted to try the big potty (which I do every day), she said yes, if she could have a "lick" (lollipop). At 7am she had a delicious orange lolli (the organic ones from trader joes, not like that makes it any better). AND she did it the rest of the day!! AND we put away the little blue potty!!

It will probably be another 6 months till she takes a crap in the toilet, but whatever, I am celebrating.

5 comments:

LauraC said...

That is huge! Congrats!

Someone told me you can use a post-it note to cover the sensor of self-flushing toilets.

Jon has to take Nate to use the urinals. Nate will use a urinal but not a big toilet. Too bad there's no female urinal for you.

Megan said...

Yeah!! I am SO right there with you! The small steps are HUGE steps! Go Lana!!! That is awesome! Wow...when your little one comes you'll only have ONE in diapers. This is big stuff!

Donna said...

Hmm, DS1 still doesn't pee consistently in any toilet. He just pees in his pull up and goes and changes his pull up himself. I just don't know how he is going to hide that from his college room mates! But at least he is poop trained!

Beth said...

Okay--first with the sleeping all night, and now potty trained? You're just rubbing it in! LOL. I'm so glad you're figuring all of this out before that baby gets here! Our first "babies" are growing by leaps and bounds, it seems. I've noticed a lot of PT "breakthroughs" recently in our blog world--still waiting for mine!

LauraC said...

Hey, not sure if I have your email address. I wanted to let you know our tablecloth is a Vent du Sud teflon-coated oilcloth tablecloth that defies ALL stains and spills. It is a miracle!! It was a gift from a friend who has them and swears by them. Anyway, the paint washed right out of the tablecloth! So does markers, chocolate milk, pasta sauce... EVERYTHING. No stain treatment or anything!