Saturday, March 7, 2009

What a lucky girl am I

I have a great husband. He is cooking dinner right now, but that's not why I love him. Although, I do appreciate his cooking skills and him giving me a break (he is cooking fish which is like totally YUCK in the first trimester, but at least I will have a chance at eating it if he cooks it).

The day after we learned about my dad's diagnosis, Bill had a very busy day of surgery. He usually barely has time to eat lunch, let alone call me for anything. But this day, a day when I really needed him just to call and say hi and everything is going to be okay, he called me. He not only did that, but he told me he spent all kinds of time at the NIH websites looking at clinical trials and possible treatment options and promising, hopeful statistics. And then he told me everything would be okay. That I should get on a plane anytime dad needed me. That he would be able to take care of Lana, if I wanted to go alone, even if it meant he would take time off of work, just to stay home with her. That we would bag our vacation to Mexico if dad wanted us to come.

Its funny because when you get married, even before that--when you pick your mate--"the one" you assume or hope and pray that that this person will be there for you during the tough times in life, as well as the wonderful, joyful times. Bill has reminded me over and over why I picked the right one. He may leave his dirty socks in the dining room or his pants crumpled up on the floor, but really WHO CARES?? He has exceeded my expectations as a husband, time and time again.

Plus, he cooks.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Julie-
You are a lucky person, but he is just as lucky. I hope your Dad is doing well, and that you are hanging in there. Thinking of you all.

LauraC said...

That's exactly how I feel about Jon. There have unfortunately many times over the years that we have really needed each other during bad times. But it does makes the sweet times that much sweeter.

Joanna said...

It's such a blessing to have such a supportive husband. It's nice to know that you have such good support during tough times.