Monday, March 30, 2009

She may be related to me after all

Ever since Lana was born, I have felt she is Bill's female clone. She looks like him, acts like him, has no patience like him, is stubborn like him, walks like him (seriously you should watch the 2 of them walk next to each other--its hilarious!), has his charming smile and the list goes on and on. Sometimes I love it--after all I married him b/c he inspired me to want children--to have a "little Bill". Sometimes its challenging. I often wonder how I can have a kid who is so different from me in so many ways--did I make any genetic contribution at all? My mother will totally back me up on this. Since she has been living with us she has often commented about how I was nothing like this as a child--I was agreeable, easygoing, well-behaved (ouch, I felt that), obedient, less manipulative, etc. Of course Lana has her sweet and lovable moments too, but the bewildering almost 3 year old behavior throws us all for a loop at times.

Lana just became interested in this new show on PBS called Sid the Science Kid. She is not just interested, she is obsessed! She loves it and not just the characters or the songs/dancing. She wants to investigate, make observations and write them in her notebook and play in the super fab lab (as they call it). She asked me the other day, "Mommy, what is a scientist?" I said, "Did you know that Mommy used to be a scientist?" "Mommy, tell me ALL about it!!" My fellow scientist friends will probably be laughing at that one b/c I have enough trouble explaining about my life as a scientist to most adults, let alone a 3 year old. Last night I caught Lana holding a hand held mirror and trying to look at things through her pretend magnifying glass. At least I have some gift ideas for her birthday.

I totally realize that this new found interest could be from Bill's side as well, since he is also a science geek like me, but I am laying claim to this one b/c dammit, she is like him in every other way!!

In other randomness, I am sick again. Another cold. I barely recovered from the last one, we not so affectionately refer to as the plague, when I started in with a new sore throat. Lana has it too but she seems to be feeling better than I am. Its not as bad as the plague, so hopefully in a few days we will be good as new.

Here is our latest ultrasound from the first trimester screen:
It was kind of surreal seeing the baby b/c I don't really feel pregnant this time around. Its just amazing there is something in there! The big difference this time (other than the fact that I can function) is our attitude. With my first pregnancy, I would walk in with a list of questions and Bill would steal away from work to make all my appointments. This time I walk in with nothing--no questions, no concerns--nothing! And Bill never comes--he just tells me to bring the ultrasound photo home. He does actually want to meet the doctor though, especially since I will be having surgery. You better believe that he will be there at the 20 week ultrasound when we do all the important measurements and find out gender. I feel so extremely lucky and blessed that I am having such a pleasant pregnancy and I sure hope it continues!

5 comments:

DesiDVM said...

What is your due date? It is funny how the 2nd pregnancy is different - in some ways I barely remember that I'm pregnant, in other ways it's so much more TIRING b/c of the toddler sapping all of my energy. I live for ultrasounds LOL.

Julie said...

I am due Sept 28th technically, but since I am having a repeat C-section we will schedule it somewhere around 39 weeks, so it will be sometime around the 21st or so. Scheduling a delivery is kind of a weird way to have a baby, but I am one of those with the small pelvic bones, so I will not be trying for a VBAC. I agree about the fatigue of chasing around a toddler--its my only real symptom, but I will totally take it over the heinous morning sickness I had with Lana and really I can't complain b/c I am not working this time.

Joanna said...

Yay for little scientists! I'm so excited that Lana is into Sid and investigating.

I'm sorry you are sick again, I hope the cold clears quickly.

Beth said...

Cracking up at Lana the scientist! William loves that show, too, but not quite as much as Lana. She is one smart cookie! I'm so glad you're feeling well this time around and can't wait to see you guys! I'm thinking baby #2 will be more like you. William is more like me, and I think Seth will be more like Ed. But things can change!

Megan said...

Yeah! What a great post! Awesome little pic! The second child and second pregnancy is dramatically different! My hubby hardly came to any of the appts with our son. So strange! But it just as wonderful. Glad you are feeling GOOD.