Friday, January 23, 2009

Florida

We just got back from a week-long vacation to Florida to visit my grandparents. When I say "we" I mean myself, Lana and my mom. A girls trip! Lana did SO well with the travel yet again and I couldn't be more thankful because flying from Seattle to Tampa is a long day even for adults. It was wonderful to spend time with my grandparents. I grew up with them living around the corner, so we remain very close. I am so grateful that Lana will have the same opportunities with her grandparents (except for Grandpa Dennis, my father, who lives in VA, sniff sniff...). I am also very grateful that Lana has spent some time with her great-grandparents. She brought so much joy to their faces and they enjoyed spending time together. They were so surprised at how much she talks--constantly talking or making some noise (usually something annoying like blah, blah, blah, blah) and I have realized that my next big lesson for Lana is to teach her to be quiet when someone else is speaking until its her turn to speak.

For all of you thinking, ooh, Florida, how nice and warm--think again. I (or maybe its my mom?) have the worst weather karma of anyone on the planet. The day we arrived, it was "unseasonably cold" and remained that way until the day we left. Weather should be right back in the normal range by now. It was in the upper 50s, low 60s, so we could be outside, but not in the pool (tragically) and it was deemed FRIGID and UNBEARABLE by my grandparents (who have clearly forgotten the true meaning of these words during their whole life in Buffalo, NY), so we didn't spend much time outside. One day we did manage to make it to the beach. Here are the pics...

Lana so happy with a shovel and some sand:My grandparents--look how bundled they are!

Grandma Dianne and Lana

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Is Lana wearing her rainboots at the beach? It MUST have been cold. Her expression in the last picture makes her look soooo much like you! Cute!

Julie said...

Nope, those are her legs--LOL! She is wearing too-short capris :)

So many people have been commenting about how Lana is looking like me these days. Its funny b/c I don't see it at all. Everytime I look at her, all I see is Bill.

Donna said...

That is so funny Julie - because I can see your smile in her!! Nice pics by the way. I know how you feel about the weather, when we went to FL last year it was not very warm at all. But it was better than Buffalo any day of the week!