Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy New Year

It seems I am a week late on every post. Our New Years celebration was less than spectacular b/c on New Year's Eve Lana woke up screaming and swallowing rapidly (I think she was about to puke, but was swallowing it back? Ew, to that). I got a bucket, just in case, but she didn't give it up. There was another identical episode a half hour later and then she went back to sleep and woke up with a fever. It was a miserable day trying to keep her fever down, get fluids in and a miserable girl less miserable. I don't do well when she is ill. I do not have a nurse-like bedside manner. I just feel sorry for her and helpless. 24h later she was better, but New Year's Day was a total bust. Then after the fever, she didn't have an appetite, refused to drink fluids and got constipated as a result. After 4 days with no poop, we gave her a suppository, which totally traumatized her, but had its desired effect, thankfully. Parenting can be gross.

I do have some New Years resolutions this year. Usually, I don't bother, but there are some things I would like to change:

1) Make exercise a part of my life. I have no real goal other than that. I don't want to lose weight or get rock hard abs or any of that. I just want to be more heart-healthy and hopefully it will keep my anxiety and/or IBS at bay. We just bought an elliptical, so I am hoping to squeeze in a 30 min workout during Lana's nap a couple times a week. Wish me luck, I have made resolutions like this all my adult life and have never made it past a couple of weeks.

2) Date night more regularly! Bill and I have very little time together and we only have one child! This is ridiculous and has to change. One reason is that Lana goes to bed so late. The other is that Bill's job is demanding and sometimes he has stuff to do after he comes home, or he is just freakin tired after a 12 h day, understandably. We have had my inlaws in town for a year, but they rarely take Lana overnight or even in the evening, since they watch her one day a week for me already. Now that my mom is with us, she has offered to watch Lana one evening a week, while Bill and I enjoy a meal on the outside. Thanks mom!

3) I need more patience. I resolve to take a deep breath instead of flying off the handle at every little thing. Enough said b/c sometimes the way I act is downright embarrassing.

To all my faraway friends who read this blog and to all my blogfriends, I wish you a very happy and healthy 2009. I hope you enjoyed this holiday season and best wishes to you all in the new year!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Happy New Year to you, too! And Ditto to number 3! Sometimes I think my temper tantrums are worse than William's. It's ridiculous! So here's to changing for the better!

Joanna said...

Sounds like an underwhelming New years. I'm glad that Lana is feeling better.

As far as adding exercise into your life, the way DH and I started this was by taking walks together in the evening. Not only did it help with getting active, but we also got to spend a little more focused time together. Of course, the weather plays a big roll in that, but when you can, it's really nice.