Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Keep your pants on

Some nights (okay, almost every night) Lana calls for me around 4am and I comfort her and crawl in her bed until she wakes up at 7am. Judge all you want, I know--bad habit, will try to break it, blah, blah, blah. This post isn't about sleep issues (although clearly we have them). Its about the peculiarities of toddlerhood. So last night she called for me, I went in, got her re-tucked and crawled in next to her for a cuddle--yeah, that's right I will do anything for a cuddle. I am "easy" like that. She proceeded to FLIP OUT! She is sobbing and crying and is totally inconsolable. I am asking her what's wrong, does something hurt? Check head for fever--nope. Do headcount of stuffed animals: Elmo, Cookie Monster, Dina, giraffe, little bia (bunny), big bia, teddy bear, pumpkin head--all present and accounted for. Pink blanket--got it. What is wrong? Then she sobs, "Mommy's comfy pants gone!!!" I usually sleep in comfy pants (as we call em) and a T (sexy, i know) and I got hot b/c my darling husband insists on sleeping with a down comforter in August, so I took off my pants somewhere during the night. OMG, she is having a fit b/c I am not wearing pants??!! You have got to be kidding me. What does she care what I am wearing, especially at 4am? I asked her, "Do you want mommy to get her comfies back on?" "Yes" she responds while wiping snot and tears from her face. I retrieved my pants, she got under the covers and snuggled close to me while whispering, "Mommy's comfy pants..." and she drifted off to sleep. Note to self: pants are not optional.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I'm LMAO! But only because I totally get it. And for the record, I also do the get-in-bed-with-child-at-4am thing. That is, unless he's come into our room and gotten into bed with us! Lol.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, I laughed aloud at my desk at this one! The DRAMA! No pants!? That is too funny. That is just awesome.

I was also glad to read that your mom is moving closer. (I actually don't know where she lives now but far away is far away regardless). I have loved living by my parents and while our neighborhood isn't a good "fit" for us right now, the fact that they are close and such a big part of my daughters' life is so important. Enjoy that time!

Mountain Mom said...

Where *do* they come up with this stuff??? LMAO!

Joanna said...

LOL. That's so funny. Do you think you could get away with just leaving the comfy pants in bed with her? Although, I tried that with a t-shirt, and Michael now carries it everywhere, so maybe not a good idea.