Saturday, July 26, 2008

We are back and in one piece!

Lana impressed me on this trip to see Grandma Dianne! I was so worried that she would be difficult on the plane or wouldn't adjust well to the time change or would be afraid of all the new people she would be meeting, but none of my fears were realized. She did great on the plane--thanks to my friend Jamie loaning me her portable DVD player. That thing is magical and you better believe we will be buying one before our next trip. No tantrums, no crying, no climbing all over mommy. Heck, I even bought a novel for the return trip b/c I had so much free time on my hands!

We had a blast with Grandma Dianne--lots of girl time (no offense to the boys) swimming, shopping, raspberry pickin and visiting relatives. It has been so long since I have visited Buffalo that most of my relatives still remember me as a teenager. I think it was a little odd for them to see me with a kid of my own. And I did hear the ever familiar--"you are a stay at home mom? What about that PhD?" Oh geez. But we had fun and it was relaxing. It was also nice for someone else to cook for me--food definitely tastes better when someone else makes it.

Grandma Dianne is planning on relocating to our neck of the woods this coming winter, which could not make me happier. I so look forward to Lana having a close relationship with her. She is a great mommy to me and a wonderful grandma to Lana, it will be so so nice to hang out more than twice a year!

Lana was so good during this whole trip. It really showed me that she is maturing--gone is that screaming baby--why oh why is she crying??? and now she is a sweet little girl (most days). I feel so confident now that I could travel with her just about anywhere, even without Bill. The best part of course was coming home. Poor Bill missed us so much--there was very little evidence of human life in our house. No trash, no dishes. I think all he did was work and go to his parents' house for meals. Its great to be all back together again.

3 comments:

Mountain Mom said...

Yay! Glad you're back. Sounds like you had a great time. We love the portable DVD player in this house (and on the road). ::sigh:: Our May babies are growing up, aren't they? ::sniff, sniff...blowing nose::

Beth said...

Welcome back Julie! I'm so glad that you had a good time and that Lana was so good for you. Does that mean you'll be traveling to the east coast more often? :-)

Julie said...

Beth--we are planning a trip to Richmond in the fall. Maybe we could meet halfway?