Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lana, you are five!?!

Dear Lana,

Today you are five years old. How? It seems like yesterday you were just a tiny baby with lots of black hair, screaming and crying all day long. Now, my sweet, you are a big kid, a mini-adult sometimes, you are funny, creative, so smart and my little friend.

You are so much like Baba in so many ways. You look like him, you act like him, you have a very special bond with your Baba. You love to watch basketball together and you remember all of the team abbreviations and uniform colors. You also watch wrestling together, all while I am rolling my eyes right out of my head. You love to work in the garden with Baba and kick a ball (you are a great kicker). I love to watch the two of you together and I love how you both love each other so much.

This year has been such a fun year to watch you grow. You love school and your teacher. You love to get your work on the best work wall. You have an amazing vocabulary and you never forget anything--sometimes its scary what's going on in that head of yours. You have learned to write beautifully and I love it when you write me notes, with little drawings of you and me together. I wish I could save every single one along with all of your artwork, but I don't think the house is big enough for all that you create. I do save my very favorites, but I treasure each one in my heart. Your artwork is simply amazing and I have loved watching your drawings become more detailed and complex over this past year. You have also started reading a bit, but like most things, you demand perfection from yourself and if you struggle, you tend to give up. I know your confidence will grow and you will be reading and riding that bike when you decide you will succeed.

One of my favorite things about you, Lana, is your heart--you are so kind and thoughtful. You are never mean, not even to Lacey, not even when she is annoying you. You are nice to adults, to friends, to your family. You want to send people cards and notes and art just because or when they are sick or sad. You love to talk to people--in elevators, in Target, anywhere really. You always ask the cashier his/her name, you know all of the employees at the grocery store by name and you always stop to say hi--Sue in flowers, Mark in meat, Jenny at the pharmacy, Mel, Julie, Yvonne at checkout. I am so impressed with how outgoing you are--you don't get that from me!

You have lots of toys and games, but really you don't play with them all that much. You always want someone to play pretend with you--elaborate games of pretend. I love listening to your creative mind as you bounce all over the room telling me about the party we are planning, your friend who is visiting from India or how very sick Hello Kitty is and how she needs surgery.

This year you have become more affectionate, which I love. I will take any and all hugs and kisses you are willing to give. You love to hold hands and even though you are getting a little bit big to carry, I will oblige while I can. I love our special days together when its just you and I--doing big girl things, having ladies lunch and cooking together. I also love how you are starting to include Lacey in your playtime. I know this takes a lot of patience. I hope you know how much you are loved and treasured in our family. Happy Birthday my sweet Lana Ru!

Love, Mama and Baba

7 comments:

jessikahsd said...

Wow, five already - where does the time go! What a sweet, heartfelt letter. Happy Birthday Lana!

Megan said...

So beautiful! Why is '5' so hard for me to swallow? She sounds so funny! The whole introducing herself to the grocery store folk? That is an amazing quality to have. And she sounds just so amazingly sweet. I so wish our two chatty girls could hang out. They would pretend all day! Happiest of Bdays!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Lana!

LauraC said...

Happy birthday Lana! Great letter!

Joanna said...

What and amazing young lady Lana is becoming. How awesome is it that she knows everyone's name? Just imagine how much more amazing this next year is going to be with Lana's compassion, creativity, and curiosity!

Happy Birthday!

DesiDVM said...

Happy belated Birthday, Lana!

Julie, I would love to meet Lana one day, she sounds like such a great, interesting kid. 5 should be a good year, don't you think?

Beth said...

Happy belated birthday to Lana! Beautiful letter, Julie, to an amazing little girl. I SO hope we can see you guys in the not-too-distant future!