Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thoughts off the top of my head

I have never done a randomness/magoomba/gumbo post, which is kind of funny b/c I feel like I live my whole life a bit scatterbrained. So here goes, in no particular order:

  • I have the best husband ever. He took me out for my birthday to a fancy restaurant, complete with a sommelier, aka, "wine dude", as I like to call him, who really made the meal fun by pairing a half glass of wine to exactly enhance each course. Wow, it was pure luxury! But what makes my husband the best husband ever is that he had a photograph of my dad holding Lana made into an oil painting. This was hands down the best gift I have ever received. Its so realistic, capturing the essence of my dad, not to mention the roundness of Lana's face when she was a year old.
  • I am obsessing about Christmas gifts--not the kids', but the extended people--what to buy, when to ship, when to shop without distraction (haha, that's a good one). I have very few ideas this year.
  • I am looking forward to Thanksgiving, its my favorite holiday. I don't really like turkey, but I love the side dishes, although mashed potatoes do not taste good without dairy. But the best part of Thanksgiving is the sentiment of gratitude. So so so much to be grateful for.
  • I wonder when I am going to stop being a hypochondriac.
  • Lana has been so lovely lately. She is fun, animated, funny, my mini-friend. I do wish she would wait until I have had some caffeine before she starts with the incessant talking.
  • Lana talks louder since starting pre-K. Even when I shush her, she is still so loud. Between the loudness and the nonstop nature of the talking, sometimes I check my ears to make sure they are not bleeding.
  • I feel like I have no time for anything. But I hate how at the end of the day the house is still a mess and I have crossed nothing off my list. What am I doing all day? Besides making dinner, breakfast and lunch too, cleaning up those dishes, picking up random clutter, keeping an eye or two on Lacey and driving an hour twice a day for preschool dropoff/pickup. Sigh.
  • I have about 100 pages left in The Help, which I hope to finish before bookclub. It will be the first book I have read for bookclub in about a year.
  • Lacey is walking full-on, really well! She doesn't have as many injuries as Lana did when she learned to walk, thankfully. She is much more hesitant and deliberate about her movements. She also likes to throw a ball.
  • We tried to get photos done for our holiday card, but both girls had super snotty colds so we canceled. I like to try to get holiday cards done in November b/c December is always so crazy. It is nothing short of miraculous that I didn't get said snotty cold. I was downstream of every sneeze and cough and the girls used my shirt as a tissue on many occasions. I think this is the first disease that the kids had that I didn't catch. Unreal.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Julie! Love that your husband is such a romantic! And that he made such a sweet, sweet gift for you! How wonderful is THAT! Everyone deserves to be wrapped in love like that. So glad for you! The feeling of getting nothing 'done' holds true for me. I just re-print my to-do lists sometimes just to make myself feel better! I also add things like "shower" so I can feel accomplished! Today's list included "drink coffee"! HA! I'm already being productive! :) Anyway, I loved your gumbo list! Here is hoping for a good family pic for Christmas! We too are working on that...tough! Happy weekend!

London said...

Sounds like a fabulous birthday! One of the perks of being broke aka "poor" is that none of our extended families expect or want gifts from us. We only buy for the kids so there is no stress invovled. Although I do long for the day when we can buy for everyone esle, I don't look forward to the work it entails.

Joanna said...

What a wonderful gift. Not only is the picture special, but it also reminds you of just how thoughtful your husband is. Win all around.

As for what you do all day? I'm pretty sure young children suck time up like a sponge. Either that, or they have some weird time zapping device. My days fly by as well, and I have no idea where they go.

Beth said...

My comments are very belated, but Bill definitely gets husband of the year. Can't wait to see the painting in person one of these days! And I love the gumbo, btw. Those random posts always give the best insights and offer a great reflection of daily life. (Spoken from the historian's perspective, of course!) Happy happy Thanksgiving!