Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Goodbye dear Grandpa Jim

Three weeks ago my beloved Grandpa Jim passed away. He was my maternal grandfather and since I grew up with my grandparents living 5 minutes away, I knew him well and I loved him very much. My grandpa's given name was Nazzareno, but he had many nicknames: Naz, Nick, Nicky, Jim, Jimmy, even Jr. He was always Grandpa Jim to me. Grandpa Jim and Grandma Rita have been married 61 years (!) and raised 3 kids together, my mom and her 2 brothers.

Grandpa Jim was sick, he was exposed to asbestos on the job years ago, which scarred his lungs and he has been deteriorating slowly for years. He required oxygen tanks 24/7 just to breathe and his mobility became less and less because of his decreased lung capacity. It was a slow decline filled with anxiety about each breath and all the while his mind was intact, which was both a blessing and a curse. This last year he suffered greatly and my poor grandmother was his dedicated caretaker, which of course is not an easy job, physically or emotionally, especially for a woman in her mid-80s.

Grandpa Jim lived a full life. He built his own house in the 1950s. He drew the plans and built the house. He did this on the weekends or after work during the week. Remember, there was no Home Depot or Lowes back then, can you imagine? He worked hard, he enjoyed his family and he was always smiling. He had a lot to be proud of, but he was incredibly humble. One thing that you hear time and time again from people who knew my grandfather is that he never and I mean NEVER said a negative comment about anyone, even if they deserved it.

My grandparents visited us here in the NW twice since we moved here. Once when Lana was 2 years old and once last year, when I was just weeks away from delivering Lacey and a few days after my dad passed away. Each time they visited, they got to see a new part of the country and spend some fun time with Lana. I could see it in my grandparents' faces what a blessing it is to live to see your great-grandchildren. I only wish my grandfather could have met Lacey too. Here are some of my favorite photos of this time:













Two weeks ago, my mom and I flew to Florida for my grandfather's funeral. I left the girls at home with my in-laws and Bill so that I could be there undistracted. My grandmother seemed to be holding up remarkably well, although she could not get past those last few days of his life and his final moments. The funeral itself was small, intimate and our entire small family was there to lay him to rest. It was sad, but beautiful too. At the dinner afterward, everyone took turns sharing their favorite memory of Grandpa Jim. Every family member took a turn. I couldn't do it. I regret not being able to share at the time, but emotionally the entire funeral was hard for me. I have lost two great men from my life in 14 months and it hurts. Anyway, since I couldn't share my memory at the time, here goes: The last time Grandpa Jim was visiting, he was playing with Lana, smiling and he looked to me and said, "The best years of my life was when my kids were little." That one sentence made such an impression on me. I think about it often, when life is so busy or the kids are driving me bonkers, I try to remember that these are the best years. Take a deep breath, enjoy these moments--look at their little faces, these are the best years. Thank you Grandpa Jim for this. It means so much to me. Rest in peace, breathe easier and say hi to my daddy.

8 comments:

Beth said...

Awww Julie, what an awesome tribute. Thanks for sharing, and for passing on his very wise words. It's so easy to think, "I can't wait until the kids are older and not quite so needy." But I better stop and cherish each and every moment. Hugs and lots of love your way!

DesiDVM said...

Julie, I'm so sorry for your loss. All of my grandparents are gone now (the last while I was preg with J), and since I've had kids I think about them all the time. Your grandpa's statement about the best years of his life made me cry - I know that it's true, we're living the best years of our life right now.

Lindsay said...

Great post, Julie. So sorry for your loss.

LauraC said...

Again I am so sorry for your loss.
I wish I had better words but unfortunately I know this sorrow having lost my grandfather last year.

Hugs!

Megan said...

Oh man, that is so sweet. Your post made me cry because his words are so true. And we all know it. We know it when it is crazy hard too. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm so sorry for this loss in your life. Know we are supporting you from afar. Hugs and love!

Joanna said...

{{{Hugs}}} I'm sorry for your loss. It's wonderful that you have had such wonderful people in your life, but that makes it so much harder when they are gone.

jessikahsd said...

Julie, this was such a beautiful post! It brought tears to my eyes. Having just lost my grandfather last week as well I know how you feel and it's so wonderful to delight in the happy memories of how he touched your life.

Maria said...

Julie, I am so late on the post, but I am so sorry for the loss of your grandpa. What a sad thing to have such a wonderful person leave your life. Sending you many good thoughts. Also, how bizarre that my most favorite person growing up, my grandpa, was also named Nazzareno?