Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jinxed

Oh yeah, I saw it coming, I jinxed the hell out of myself with my last post when I spoke so highly of Lana's wonderful behavior. Man oh man, what a friggen week we had. It was spring break, aka "drive your mother nuts" week. I contracted one hell of a cold, the kind where you cough and cough and cough till a little pee comes out. My asthma is acting up which is also causing some laryngitis. So Lana figured out that I can't really yell and that I prefer to not use my voice at all because it just leads to the coughing spells. Yeah right, try to parent Miss Talking Nonstop without actually talking. Plus, she is bored because there is no school, its been raining and we are stuck in the house giving Lacey her naps on schedule, hoping against hope that one of these days her night sleep will improve.

So it was a tough week. Lana was a royal pain in the ass on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It was so very challenging, mostly because it has been a LONG time since I have seen this type of behavior. There was stubborn defiance, crying, a whole lotta "NOs!" and just general misery and bad behavior. I felt like crap, so I didn't have any reserves for this business. There was yelling, even though it was more like croaking and about 3 octaves lower than my normal voice. By the time Bill came home on Friday, I just wanted to walk out the door and take a few cleansing breaths.

But today, she is back. Sweet Lana, dear lovely Lana. Whew! She was even content to spend the whole day at home, just playing with whoever would give her attention. Sometimes I think that Lana doesn't have a lot of toys, especially age appropriate toys, especially compared to her friends, but the truth is, she doesn't want more toys--she wants our attention. I am her favorite toy! She is not good at independent play. I have been told that some children can play with toys in their rooms for hours. What? Kids can DO that? Not mine! She wants to imagine. We play beach party, dance party, princess ball party. She builds pillow forts called her "house" and brings in her "babies" and "snacks". She cooks me pretend meals and even today she set up a very elaborate garage sale complete with snacks and a lemonade stand.

I am so happy spring break is over and we can get back to our regular routine. I am hoping this heinous cold goes away soon and that we can stay healthy for a couple more weeks as we get ready for our vacation. Vacation!!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Your earlier post about Lana's amazing behavior was hautning me as I dealt with Ms. Grumpalina. I actually kept thinking to myself, "Wow! Lana is being an all star what the heck is Seren up to?" :) I guess they can't be awesome 100% of the time. They also can't be miserable 100% of the time! As Pinkalicious would say, "We get what we get and we don't get upset." (But let me tell you when Seren is in a mood for longer than 5 minutes- I DO get upset.) Sorry that you had such a rough week! A cold! Rain! AND no voice!? Horrible! So glad she returned to sweet Lana again. Awesome. And the pretending? That is awesome! Exhausting but awesome!! When Seren is running around singing in costume I think to myself, "Better than a couch potatoe." Right? Here is to another good week!

Heidi O said...

I completely understand. My 6 yo is still like that. If he wakes up before my 3 yo, he will waker her up to have company. Which ends up waking me up.
I am glad Sweet Lana is back.