Friday, April 23, 2010

Catching up and a mystery solved

We just returned from an awesome, relaxing, fun-filled vacation and I want to post all about our trip, but I am catching up with 18 loads of laundry, unpacking and two very tired and jet-lagged children. Have I mentioned we are remodeling? Well, the wall came down while we were away and there is a layer of dust/dirt on every surface on the first floor. The first thing I did was mop when we got home. Fun! Its going to be great when we are done, but for now its a mess and its loud during the day, which incidentally is not helping our baby's sleep situation. But that is another post for another day.

Three weeks ago when I took Lacey for her allergy testing and she tested positive for milk protein allergy, it was recommended that I eliminate all dairy from my diet since I am still breastfeeding. I told the doctor I am already doing that--I don't eat cheese, ice cream, milk, etc. She handed me a detailed list of all of the dairy sources I should be more strict about eliminating--things like whey, casein, butter, chocolate (boo hoo) and dairy ingredients in processed foods, crackers, cereals, cookies. So after I had a little pity party about the chocolate, I switched over to soy butter and I changed my non-dairy creamer, which has casein, to a soy based creamer and I read labels on everything.

I can't say Lacey's eczema, reflux or sleep issues have improved any, but I have noticed a marked improvement in my own health! Ever since I had Lana, I have been suffering with IBS. Its lovely. And embarrassing. I pretty much always feel some sort of tummy trouble. Every day its something and sometimes it makes me anxious about leaving the house or traveling b/c who wants tummy trouble on an airplane or in the car? I have received very little help from gastroenterologists--they just tell you to take fiber and don't eat foods that bother you. I did acupuncture. No help there. Chinese herbs helped the most, but then I got pregnant with Lacey and had to stop. Well, since I cut out dairy strictly--meaning all that whey and casein, my tummy has felt almost...normal. I initially thought that it was just a lull in my symptoms, but its been a full 3 weeks now and I still feel good--even with traveling! I literally haven't felt this good in almost 4 years. Its totally worth the sacrifices of chocolate and ice cream. Totally. I have Lacey's milk allergy to thank. I cannot express how happy this makes me. I hope Lacey grows out of her milk allergy, but I will likely permanently be dairy free. Its such a simple solution.

6 comments:

Bren said...

Congrats on finding a solution to your problem. Can't believe a doctor didn't suggest it to you before! I am only lactose intolerant and that by itself is a pain. Can't imagine having problems with ANY milk based product!

Unknown said...

So glad you're feeling better! What a miracle. Who knew that Lacey would help you figure that out.

Can't wait to hear about your vacation. Where did you go? How were the kids?

Beth said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! What a way to figure it out, though. Have you ever gone gluten-free? ('Cause giving up all forms of dairy isn't hard enough! LOL) Anyway, so glad you had an awesome vacation, and can't wait to hear all about it. (And see pictures!) And I hope your house is coming along. Take pictures!!!

Megan said...

yeah for vacation! And awesome for feeling better! That is HUGE! Thank goodness for kids- they teach us so much about ourselves, right!? :) Can't wait to hear more details about your vacation and see pics.

Joanna said...

Vacation sounds wonderful right about now. I'm glad that you had a break. I'm also happy to hear that your tummy is feeling better. That's a lot to sacrifice for it, but if it makes you feel better, well worth it.

Heidi O said...

That's great that you found out what has been making you ill. Not that simple since you have to ingredient read but awesome that you feel better.