Monday, December 1, 2008

Getting ready for my mom

My mom is moving here in 2 days! When I say "here", I mean it literally, she is moving into our guest bedroom. She is looking for a job and already has an interview, which is pretty impressive given the state of the economy and joblessness. When she finds something stable we will help her find her own apartment, ideally somewhere close to both work and us, or maybe somewhere in between the two. I cannot express how happy I am to have her close, to have Lana grow up with her and for me to enjoy the relationship that I have always had with my mom.

I am cleaning/organizing as much as I can with a 2.5 year old in preparation. My mom is very organized and meticulously clean. I did not inherit these traits, but I don't want her to have a seizure when she walks into my house and sees the clutter, layers of dust and sheer disorganization, so I am trying to at least try.

My mom has never moved out of her hometown, so this is a HUGE move for her. She has only visited Seattle for one week in the middle of winter where it rained incessantly. Having moved myself so freakin many times, I know that when you first get to your new home, its weird. You don't know where you are going, where the grocery stores are, where the best place to get gas is, etc. It just feels uncomfortable for the first 6 months or so. I want to make the transition for mom a little easier and I will try to get her oriented with the layout of the land as best as I can. I also really want to have a festive holiday season this year. I want to take Lana to see Santa. I want to bake cookies, hang lights, decorate the tree, listen to holiday music. My mom has had a bunch of crappy Christmases so I want this one to be different.

Its not going to be all smooth sailing for her or for us as a family, I am sure. Living with another whole generation is a huge adjustment for all. Bill won't be able to walk around in his boxers, he will be eating a whole lot more salad than he would like to and we are going to have to get creative about TTC quietly (the whole concept of that totally weirds me out). But I know this is a great adventure and new start for my mom and this will be a new beginning for our family.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Good luck! I think it is great and so wonderful to have family close. I wish we could have family close too. By the way good luck with the TTC quietly - at least you don't have a dog that howls when she hears the goings on (nope not Snaps - our other corgi).

LauraC said...

Wow, that is really exciting news. I often wonder how much easier we would have found the last two years if we had any family within a 10 hour drive! And what a great gift for Lana, to be able to be with her grandma!

Maria said...

Lucky lucky. It is so much fun for us to have my parents right next door. We will never move! Have a wonderful holiday.

Joanna said...

I hope your mom's transition goes well. I love having my mom right around the corner. It was very comforting to actually be able to look out the hosiptal window the night Michael was born, and see my mom's apartment light on. I think you have a good attitude about the challenges, and that will make the bumps a little easier to deal with.