Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Gimme some earplugs

I know its a good thing that Lana has an extensive vocabulary, that she can pronounce very big words so clearly even a stranger can understand her. I know she has a lot going on in that brain of hers, that she is very creative, inquisitive and imaginative. These are great attributes and most of the time, we feel pleased and proud. But sometimes, for goodness sake I wish she would stop talking--for just a few minutes. Lana wakes up telling me all about her dreams--cool and interesting. This morning she came into my bed at 6:15am and proceeded to talk loudly and incessantly about phone numbers, while my eyes were still closed and I was barely conscious. Lana: "Mom, what is Miss Jamie's phone number?"
Me: (groggily and slurring my words): "I dunno, its on my pink phone."
Lana: "Mom, what is Auntie Mo's phone number?"
Me: "I dunno, its on my pink phone."

She kept it up for like 10 minutes asking me about everyone's phone number. Holy crap, I was wishing I could pull the covers over my head. The thing is, I am pretty used to her constant talking. I love our great conversations, her questions are priceless (although sometimes I feel like I am in the inquisition) and her observations make me laugh. But when she runs out of things to say, she just makes noise. When she is tired, she goes hyperspeed bonkers with the talking. When I am paying attention to Lacey--like if I am doing something indulgent like feeding her or changing her diaper, Lana just talks LOUDER.

I recently went to my bookclub and someone said they got rid of cable and I commented that I could not entertain that possibility any time soon b/c tv is the only thing that cuts the talking for a few minutes. Then I mentioned that I have the DVD in the car so that I can drive in peace safely without hearing, "Mom, look! Mom, let's play Simon says--mom, I can't see you touching your nose." My friend looked at me like I am the worst mom ever for using the tv to shut my kid up. But my friend has never spent a day with Lana. Sometimes when my inlaws drop off Lana after watching her all day, my MIL, who barely speaks English says, "Wow, Lana all day talk, talk, talk."

Most of the time the talking is a good thing, but some days when I am tired or I am just frustrated, I seriously need some earplugs. Imagine what this girl is going to do when she is a teenager and is always on the phone.

6 comments:

Beth said...

LOL. When I'm at my wit's end in the car with William's incessant comments and questions, I hand him the iPhone. It's definitely the ONLY way to get a few minutes of peace while I'm driving. Of course, Seth doesn't say a word in the car. I bet Lacey will be the same way! (Seth does talk up a storm when we're not in the car, though, so rest assured!)

LauraC said...

That is Nate AND Alex right now. It is as tiring as when they were newborns. They constantly talk over each other and then fight when they are interrupted.

Megan said...

I hear you!! My gosh! Seren can drive me batty sometimes. It is just constant. And she doesn't seem to care, sometimes, if I'm not 100% listening. I can't be! I have to do things like shower, use the bathroom, put dishes away. I think about cell phone bills in the future...shudder.

A question for you: how is Lana on eye contact? Seren and I have been working on this. She rarely, rarely makes eye contact. Her teacher asked me to work on this because that is where you pick up social cues from others. So i'm working on this. But honestly, do I make contact with her ALL of the time while she is talking?? I can't. So when then, just the "important" conversations!?

It is fun and amazing that they have so much to say. And I'm grateful that she is excited about everything but I hear you that it can be down right DRAINING as well.

Heidi O said...

Mine always starts talking just when I turn the radio on. Then after it is off and we are done talking I turn the radio back on. And guess what... She starts talking again. It is like Laurel and Hardy and I am whichever is the annoyed one after a while.

Maria said...

I hear you on the chattering! At least when they're teens they'll have other chatty girls to talk to! I suppose then, though we will be longing for the ones being talked to!

Bren said...

My almost 3 year old is that way. Talking,singing, yelling on and on. It makes bedtime SO NICE!