Thursday, March 4, 2010

I love living here

Beth recently asked me how I like living here at a time when I am literally in love with the Pacific NW. We have had a very mild winter (sorry to all you east-coasters) and spring is in the air. We have had many sunny days with bright blue skies. The cherry blossom trees are in full bloom and line the streets of our neighborhood. It looks like pink cotton candy trees. The daffodils are in bloom, the magnolia trees are starting. We live in a very old, established neighborhood, so the trees are huge and everything is so green from the rainy winter. That is one of the things I love about the climate--we never get that brown frozen tundra season that I experienced on the east coast and midwest. The winters are rarely really cold--I think we had a few days of record cold which was like 20 degrees ABOVE zero, but mostly its in the 40s during the winter months. The evergreens keep things looking green and our grass is green all winter too. People complain about the rain, but I don't think its that bad. The beautiful weather we had this past February was wonderful! I took the girls to the park, we did sidewalk chalk the other day, Lacey and I went for a couple of walks. We all wore winter coats, but we didn't need hats or mittens. I can't wait for summer so we can spend more time outside, have playdates at the parks and beaches and picnics too. I also have been really appreciating the beautiful snowcapped mountains--on a clear day they are breathtaking and I can see them anytime I am just driving around running errands. We have lived in many different places, from cities to the burbs, from the east coast to the west coast and this is just such a good fit for our family. Imagine if I was like an outdoorsy person! I would love it even more, but even for a city girl like me, I love it here and Seattle is only 20 minutes away. Anyone want to come visit?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Me, Me -- I want to visit!! This cold here is about to drive me insane. If I have to do one more art project because it's freezing outside I think I'll lose it. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon :)

Maria said...

I have always wanted to visit Seattle, and now I want to move there! Sounds like a dream!

Beth said...

I want to visit, too. So jealous that you're experiencing spring already! I will say that I love spring here, once it starts. Having lived in Florida my whole life, which barely has any change of seasons, I know that I would never want to go back. At any rate, that's awesome that you have found the place that you love! And one of these days, we will be west-coast bound. (My sister lives in Portland, and I have a cousin in Oakland, so it's inevitable!)

Megan said...

Me! I want to come visit! I sometimes need to travel to Seattle for work...I'll have to email if I come again this upcoming spring! I lived in Oakland and my heart on a DAILY basis wants to move back. The expense and the distance from family prevents us from doing so but literally...I'd move in a heart beat. SO glad you found a fit!

Joanna said...

Simply put...YES!

DesiDVM said...

When I was about 10 weeks preg with J we decided to take a random vacation in Seattle for a week. TH and I agree it was our favorite vacation ever. It was so gorgeous, we loved the weather (early September), TH loved the abundance of clam chowder stands, we loved just driving around Whidbey Island. It was our last vacation before kids.

We actually talk all the time about moving to Seattle if we could find jobs there. Maybe another visit is in order...

Living in Vegas one of the things I miss most is real seasons. Here it goes from hot to warm to kinda cold for a few weeks and then right back to hot.