Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Art

Ask Lana what she wants to be when she grows up and she will always say an artist. Its her favorite part of school. We also do art or a craft every afternoon during Lacey's nap. Sometimes its just coloring or drawing, sometimes its something more involved. I personally like the craft kits you buy, since I am not creative myself and the kits have everything you need. The problem with most kits is that they can be completed in about 10 minutes and then its done. Nothing makes her happier or quieter than being creative. I love that she loves it and I love her creations. One problem is we have no designated craft space--we do not have an eat-in kitchen (yet--we are remodeling to include one), so we do crafts in the dining room, with the new furniture and area rug (yikes!) and a lot of plastic drop cloths. The other issue is what to do with all of her creations. Holy crap, we have crafts, masterpieces, beautiful drawings, decoupages, paintings, magnets, frames, etc. That doesn't include what she brings home from school or the endless supplies. What do I do with all of these things? I display some on the fridge, I save my favorites and a lot end up in the recycling bin. Please don't tell her. I have pulled a lot of, "I don't know how THAT got in there--must have been Baba."

I have decided to photograph some of her latest creations in a variety of media, but of course these are just a few of many, with new masterpieces each day.

Here she is doing watercolor (I painted the flowers).
Here is a person with a very tall ice cream cone--many scoops and they are all strawberry.
A project from school--she loves to paint.
Even the chalkboard is fun still:
Even shaving cream is an opportunity for drawing:

7 comments:

Maria said...

Wow! That is awesome that she loves art so much! Have you done anything with pipecleaners? Those are the BEST for car rides, weddings, or anywhere else you need her to stay quiet and clean. I carry some with me most if the time. I love the creativity and you are fantastic for letting her do something that she is so passionate about, but that you don't love. I have a friend who takes pictures of her kid's art, and uploads them to snapfish and then makes a book of their creations. Then the guilt of throwing away isn't so great!

DesiDVM said...

Wow her drawing/painting skills are really good! I'm proud when J draws circles and spirals LOL. We do a lot of crafty stuff when I'm home b/c I'm a huge crafter - I have bins and bins of "craft crap" that I can pull from on a rainy day. Just last week we made sock puppets, blew out eggs and pasted tissue paper on them, made "blow straw" paintings, made potato stamps and homemade thank you cards, macaroni necklaces...but painting and drawing he's not really into for more than 5 minutes and like I said it's very basic.

Joanna said...

What a wonderful way to let her explore, express, and create. I love the shaving cream idea. Is the weather nice enough that you could start doing some of this outside? There are tons of cool crayola sidewalk media you can buy.

As for what to do with it all...I think the oops approach is a necessary evil.

Heidi O said...

I need to do more art projects with the kids. Thanks for reminder that it is important for them to create, create, create.

Beth said...

I think the pictures are an awesome idea, and then trash the originals. I bought a bunch of acrylic box frames in different sizes and I put the boys' artwork in those and hang them in the powder room, in their bedrooms, and in the playroom. It's easy to switch out art, and it's a cheap way to decorate. I get the frames at Target, but I'm sure Michaels or other craft stores sell them, too. And Amazon sells them, too.

Lana is quite the little artist! William's pictures are way more primitive than that. LOL!

Donna said...

You could start a blog with just her art work and discuss some of the things you did, the lessons at school etc with photos. That way it would be captured forever and you wouldn't have to keep everything forever!

Megan said...

WOW! Holy artist! You should see Seren's! :) We are getting CLOSE to something that looks like a face. *(She must inherit her mother's "talent" for art!) Go Lana! Love this!