Sunday, November 2, 2008

The hockey game

The docs in Bill's practice are the team doctors for a professional youth hockey team here in town, so periodically he has to attend the games in case any of the players injure themselves. Bill is a big sports fan, but hockey is definitely not one of his favorites. Last year, he went to several games solo, which is really boring for him. I went with him a few times while the inlaws watched Lana overnight and he took his parents a few times. I don't mind going, as I grew up in a town where hockey is super big. But I am not exactly into sports--watching or playing, so I feel like if we are going to go on the rare night when we are without Lana--its our date night and let me tell ya, I can think of a thousand other ways I would like to be spending my date night. So this year, we thought we could bring Lana and make it more of a family outing. After all, she goes to bed so late, it should totally work out. Plus, she has never done something like this before, I bet it would be thrilling for her. The only thing I was worried about was the noise. I spoke to her all week about how it was going to be very loud, but we would have a great time watching the big boys ice skate and there would be music and yummy things to eat.

When we got there, she was so excited. We found our seats and she loved how the bottom part of the seat moves up and down. She examined that for a good 10 min. Then the lights went out and they had spotlights going all around the crowd--she was mesmerized. Just watching her brought tears to my eyes (lame, I know) because of her sense of wonderment, like this was something really exciting and NEW! Something big kids do! Not two seconds later, it all fell apart when the foghorn went off (you know, like the one that sounds when the home team scores)--OMG, she lost her mind. I mean, it is freakin loud--even Bill covers his ears (delicate boy). I am holding her and she is hugging me so tight, sobbing into my ear, "I WANT TO GO HOME! LET'S GET OUT OF HEEEERRREEE!" She wanted nothing more to do with the hockey game. Boys on ice skates? Who cares? Big bear mascot? Unless he is giving me a hug--don't even try to distract me. I ended up spending the entire game outside of the area--like where the concessions are sitting on the floor with Lana while she danced and pranced on the concrete floor. We briefly went inside again during the intermissions for her very very special surprise snack. When we got home she told me that hockey games are "for bigger girls". Duly noted.

3 comments:

LauraC said...

I'll have to tell Jon this story bc he is a HUGE hockey fan. N&A have already been to a hockey game... from inside my belly!

Donna said...

OMG! I think I would have gone nutso waiting for the end. Funny you published this post. DH and I went to a hockey game last March up in Buffalo when we were visiting. It was our one chance for a date night and I surprised him with the tickets. Let me tell you - it was not fun being 8 months pregnant and sitting in the nosebleed section! I was terrified of doing a nosedive off the bleachers. Oh what we do for love!

Megan said...

oh funny! It is awesome how you just don't know what reaction you are going to get for any given event! Good for you for exposing her to it though. I love her last comment, "That's for big girls". Add that to her long list of things she'll do when she "gets bigger", right?