Thursday, March 3, 2011

Parenting fail

One of our very worst habits as parents is that Bill and I curse. A lot. In front of the kids. I know, not good. I always try to switch out a bad word for a less bad word or spelling out the curse word, but then I drive somewhere and somebody cuts me off or pulls some crazy move and there I am, dropping the F-bomb with my kids in the back. Bill curses 100 times more than me--sometimes multiple curses in a sentence. Its like he is in college! Boys curse in the operating room, but he is one of the worst offenders. I wonder what those nurses think--hmm. Anyway, we know its a bad habit and Lana is aware of the cursing and that its not good. She even made a curse jar for us, but Bill never pays up. I have told her that there are some words that adults are allowed to say in certain situations, but kids are never allowed to say and its unfair, but too bad. Luckily, she has experimented very little with the bad words and she has never embarrassed me with them in public.

So the other night I am in the shower with Lana and she is always drawing on the walls of the shower door when it gets all steamy. And then she writes out (in very nice handwriting): S-H-I-T. Nice. Four years old and she writes shit on the shower door. Oops. I guess the whole spelling out the curse word backfired on me.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sorry, Julie, but that is hilarious!!!

Donna said...

Okay - all I can say to this is - yay! for Lana knowing how to spell and read already! Yes, this happens, they live. Don't worry about it! :o)

Joanna said...

LOL. I love this post. I've worked really, really hard to control my swearing in front of Michael. I dropped the f-bomb once in front of Michael and then he repeated it loudly in the grocery store. It was not good.

Maria's advice has worked really well for us. She lets the girls swear in their bedrooms. I never told Michael not to say the F word, I told him it's a bedroom word and if he wants to say it, he needs to go there. He hasn't said it since. It takes the taboo away from it, and therefore the fun.